Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4751 Discussions

S3200SHV cannot boot from CD-ROM

idata
Employee

What's the trick to getting our new S3200SHV-based server to boot from CD-ROM? Although the CD-ROM drive shows up fine in the O/S (Win2K3 SBS) there is nothing in the BIOS that allows you to choose it for boot. Also, there is no "Boot Menu" choice at startup. I need to image off the server to install new drives...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You can press F2 during POST to go to BIOS menu, and go to Boot Manager to select a boot device. If you're using onboard SATA RAID and a SATA CD-ROM, you'll need to have a bootable CD in the CD-ROM drive, otherwise the CD-ROM won't show up in the device list.

Maybe booting from a USB key is an easier workaround.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your response.

We were forced to abandon the idea of booting from a CD-ROM as the board clearly does not support that option.

So now on to RAID. Here's my question: If I have the server operating system loaded on a single disk and I attach it to the server can I build a RAID out of it? That is, can I build a mirror array (RAID1) out of the single disk load?

Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Which RAID option are you using? ESRT2 or Matrix Storage?

If your current OS is installed with native SATA mode, I'd recommend you re-install the OS in RAID mode...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's a server O/S. We'd like to be able to restore the image of the server to the RAID. Else, we want to use the installation on the SATA drive to build the array.

0 Kudos