Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

S3200SHV cannot boot from CD-ROM

What's the trick to getting our new S3200SHV-based server to boot from CD-ROM? Although the CD-ROM drive shows up fine in the O/S (Win2K3 SBS) there is nothing in the BIOS that allows you to choose it for boot. Also, there is no "Boot Menu" choice at startup. I need to image off the server to install new drives...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

You can press F2 during POST to go to BIOS menu, and go to Boot Manager to select a boot device. If you're using onboard SATA RAID and a SATA CD-ROM, you'll need to have a bootable CD in the CD-ROM drive, otherwise the CD-ROM won't show up in the device list.

Maybe booting from a USB key is an easier workaround.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for your response.

We were forced to abandon the idea of booting from a CD-ROM as the board clearly does not support that option.

So now on to RAID. Here's my question: If I have the server operating system loaded on a single disk and I attach it to the server can I build a RAID out of it? That is, can I build a mirror array (RAID1) out of the single disk load?

Highlighted
Employee

Which RAID option are you using? ESRT2 or Matrix Storage?

If your current OS is installed with native SATA mode, I'd recommend you re-install the OS in RAID mode...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

It's a server O/S. We'd like to be able to restore the image of the server to the RAID. Else, we want to use the installation on the SATA drive to build the array.

0 Kudos