Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S3420GPLC problem whit Raid10

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have some issue whit new server board

I want to installa on my server 4 x 2Tb hd in raid10

Matrix Raid see the hd, create the array in raid10 but i'm unable to make it bootable (i want to install 2008r2 enterprise)

ESRT2 by intel deploy assistant, by wizard i can create only 0 or raid1, if I use the advance setting i can see raid10 setting but IDA permit me to use only 2 hard disk.

I have also a dvdrw sata.

I update the bios but nothing change.

What can I do?

Thank you

Alessandro - Italy

7 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The thing is that maximum size of a MBR disk (or RAID volume here) is 2TB. GTP disks support single volume greater than 2TB, but to boot from a GPT disk the RAID firmware and OS must support EFI boot, which is currently not available on either Matrix Storage or ESRT2.

The workaround is to create a RAID volume less than 2TB and install OS on it. Then create a 2nd volume to store data. If it's larger than 2TB, you'll need to make it GPT when partitioning the disk.

Below is a demo of ESRT2 which explains how to create a RAID 10 VD with four drives:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032119.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032119.htm

idata
Employee

so ok the problem is the limitation of controller

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

you'll have to create two RAID 10, with a partition in less than 2TB RAID (only for Windows installation - bootable) RAID and the other with what's left of disk space.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How can I create two raid10??????

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Yes you can have two RAID 10 VDs.

When creating the VD you have a chance modify the parameters right? You can change the size of the VD here. If there is still free space, when you hit Accept the utility will immediately let you create a 2nd VD.

Below is a screenshot on my system. I already of an 100GB VD0, and now the utility is offering a 2nd VD using the remaining space. You can create up to eight VDs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ok, and this is for matrix raid. I wanna use ESRT2 for log system.

for creating raid10 (4 hd) I have to create first 2 raid0 array?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

My apology - the screenshot above was taking with ESRT2 in a RAID 0 configuration (because I only have 3 disks in that system). However ESRT2 has a limitation on RAID 10 that only one virtual drive can be defined for the entire array.

In your case, you can either create two seperate RAID 1 VDs using ESRT2, or create two RAID 10 VDs using Matrix RAID.

0 Kudos