Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5000PSL no video and beeps after firmware upgrade

dauge
Beginner

Hi,

I had a previously working system with a S5000PSL motherboard in it (No OS). I wanted to do firmware upgrades and tried downloading the latest and greatest from Intel - I was going to set it up as a test windows 2012 server. Post upgrade, the onboard video only displays a white screen with a flashing cursor. The server beeps, no particular beep code, nor does the it stop beeping. The amber warning or bang light flashes one second on, one second off. Eventually, all rear onboard troubleshooting LEDs will go dark except for the green "system status" LED

When I add a video card to the system, I will see it post. I can get into bios, boot to a DOS USB key, and if there were an OS, I would assume it would boot as well. all-the-while the server is beeping at me and flashing its bang light. When I get into bios, there are no errors logged.

My board is a S5000PSL E11025-302 with an ATI video chip on board.

Nothing else changed. The processors and memory were not removed, replaced, etc. Pre-upgrade, this problem did not exist.This behavior was introduced with the latest code.

The package I tried was 101,66,48.

I've tried clearing CMOS and rolling the BIOS back via the jumper, no better.

I then tried to down level-the bios package with 98,64,46 - no different.

I have not done anything with the force_bmc jumper.

Before I go on and turn this server into an anchor by randomly trying other things to resolve, I thought it best to post and hopefully someone can provide some guidance.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/ideas.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dauge
Beginner

update - I've tried re-downloading 101,66,48 and applying. No different. No unusual results during the process. no errors or failures while upgrading.

Upon completion, exact same state.

0 Kudos
dauge
Beginner

ok - now I have 2 boards doing the exact same thing. Grabbed another machine, ran through the bios upgrade process (re-downloaded code and followed the directions exactly), and am in the exact same state with the second board. I am missing something simple or there is something wrong with the code available for download.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

What is the part number on the top of the processors?

Should be a Sxxxx or a Qxxxx

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Just re-read your posting.

You get POST with a video card, but not on the on board video. Very strange.

Sounds like you may have killed the BMC.

I would try a BMC recover as exolained in the TPS section 6 http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000psl/sb/CS-022619.htm?wapkw=intel+server+board+s5000psl http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000psl/sb/CS-022619.htm?wapkw=intel+server+board+s5000psl

0 Kudos