Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5000PSL turns off after running for few seconds & no vga signal

AZ2
Beginner

Hi,

This is my first time trying to build and I am no expert, so please understand if I ask for more details even for something simple. I have:

1) 2 x Intel Xeon quadcore E5450 3Ghz 12MB L2 SLANQ

2) 32GB RAM (8 x 4GB, DDR2, 667, CL5, ECC)

3) Intel S5000PSL , PBA: E11027-102

4)SolidGear SDGR-750E , 750W PSU

5)2 x CoolerMaster HyperT4 cpu cooler (attached with metal wires)

6) 3 x 120mm case fans (3 pins)

7) no GPU for now

In the "pluggedins" image you can see that everything with a red mark means that I have something connected there. I have 2 problems. First one is there is no vga signal at all. Second one, is the LEDs issue. So, I turn the PSU, first the LED in "1" (PowerUpTry image) will be green then turn to half green and half amber ,eventually to solid amber. Now I press the power button of the case, after ~6 seconds it turns from amber in "1" to "2". After another ~6 seconds, it goes from "2" to "3" to "4" to "5" very quickly. It stays on "5" for ~ 6 seconds then the whole thing shuts down, all the fans stop working and end up with "6". During this process, the fans start to spin but dont make loud noise, after few seconds the noise becomes louder then few seconds later the noise becomes like how it was in the beginning eventually stop when the machine shuts down.

I tried installing one RAM stick at a time. I got the "beep" voice from 1 to 4 sticks for each time. But from 5 to 8 sticks there was no "beep" anymore. I tried 'one ram stick at a time' method with 2 cpus because it took me hours to place the cpu cooler right on the cpu and make it tight and firm. I hope it will be fixed without taking out the cpu.

I hope I can fix this up and run this machine eventually. Any knowledge or experience with this kind of issue is greatly appreciated. Please ask if something is not clear.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Adam,

In order to help you with your problem, please help us providing more information:

Can you please provide us the part number of the memory that you are using?

Have you tried testing a power supply with a higher wattage?

As first troubleshooting suggestion, test your system without memory, you should get 3 long beep codes, if you do not get any beeps, this means that the problem might be related, either with the processor or the server board.

Check the processor installation and please test you system with only one processor, when only one processor is installed, it must be in the socket labeled CPU1. The other socket must be empty.

Feel free to check the product technical specifications here

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s5000psl/sb/417435_d41763_008_s5000psl_tps_rev_17.pdf page 18.

Furthermore, please try testing your system with the minimal system configuration, no storage devices, one memory module and check if the problem continues.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
AZ2
Beginner

ok, so when I try with 1 cpu and no memory , the first LED will be amber and after I turn it on I am getting 3 beep sounds and after a while it shuts down(close to 1-1.30 minutes). I put 1 stick in A1, the first LED is still amber,after I turn it on, the amber stays ,other LEDs get red and green and all red . There is an LED that gets half red and green. But after ~10 seconds I get vga signal and 'Intel' logo appears that has 'press F2' or 'Esc' something like that, but after just few seconds of screen showing up the entire thing shuts down. I tried 2 then 3 then 4 ram sticks, the same thing like it was with 1 stick, turns on with amber , vga signal comes in eventually shuts down. There is no gpu, or hard drive, only 1 cpu in CPU 1 slot . I also found on the board "CPU -S5000SL(A)", maybe it helps. This is an image of two types of ram, have 4 of each kind.

Finally for the psu, I didn't try with higher wattage. If that is the problem, how higher I would need? I don't have one to try , I will have to order and try it after I get it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AZ2
Beginner

Also i'm wondering if it is possible to run it with 1 cpu only in worst case?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Adam,

Please note that you serverboard is on end of interactive support state.

As an additional troubleshooting step, you try to test your system out of the chassis, this is to avoid any grounding problem.

As as the power supply, you can try to test a 900 or 950 power supply; however, we recommend testing your system outside of the chassis first, before testing another power supply.

Regards.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Adam,

We are following up your question and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Adam,

In case you need further assistance feel free to contact us back.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos