Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S5000PSL with recent nVidia graphics such as GTX550

idata
Employee

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade the BOINC computing performance of my S5000PSL server board with a recent nVidia / CUDA graphics card. I just bought a GFX550 Ti but this is not being recognized by the motherboard at all in either of the PCI-E v1 x16 (x8 electrical) slots.

Can anyone help me get this card working or otherwise point me in the direction of the most recent graphics card that is compatible with the S5000PSL?

Many thanks,

Pete

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Pete,

See the S5000PSL http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/s5000psl_thol_29.pdf Tested Hardware List document for compatible video adapters.

Regards,

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Pete,

See the S5000PSL http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/s5000psl_thol_29.pdf Tested Hardware List document for compatible video adapters.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the tip John. Unfortunately that list hasn't been updated since 2008. I've done some more research and I gather from http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/41400-4coredual-sata2-r2-0-gts450-compatibility.html# post372152 this excellent post that many but not all modern graphics cards do have a compatability mode for PCI-E version 1.x. I guess Asus doesn't as the ASUS ENGTX550 I bought shows not sign of life on my S5000PSL with latest BIOS. I'm looking to try an MSI card now as they at least state PCI-E v1.1 backwards compatability on their product pages.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I now have an http://eu.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-M2D1GD5.html# ?div=Feature MSI N560GTX of which the product page states, "PCI Express 2.0 products are fully backwards compatible with existing PCI Express motherboards for broadest support."

Unfortunately same behaviour as my Asus GTX560, no recognition by Windows 7 or the driver which again states no compatible card found.

I'll open a ticket with MSI as I have with Asus but hopefully somewhere here can point out whether it's an S5000 specific issue. I have the latest BIOS, which I assume makes the motherboard follow the PCI 1.0a standard very closely?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As I have now also tried a 9800GTX+ and a ATI 5450, which both were not recognized I've decided to upgrade my motherboard to a Intel 5000X chipset which should support modern PCIe2.0 graphics cards.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Have you check the Video settings in BIOS setup?

Dual monitor enabled?

On-board video enabled or disabled?

PCI memory mapping enabled beyond 4G?

I am running a Nvidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS in this S5000PSL as a dual monitor with the on-board graphics. (my BIOS is a bit old since I have not updated it for quite awhile.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the tips. The BIOS was pretty much default, although I did try setting onboard video to disabled, which didn't help and I had to reset the BIOS to get a head back. In the BIOS > PCI configuration I just tried setting

Memory mapped I/O above 4GB -> Enabled

Dual Montior video -> Enabled

But still the GTX9800GTX+ isn't recognized at all. I'm pretty sure that most PCIe Gen 2 cards won't work. Your GeForce 7000 series cards are all PCIe Gen 1. I guess the highest this motherboard will go is a GeForce 8800 GTS/GTX/Ultra i.e. nVidia codename G80, but I'd love to be proved wrong!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

BTW, you can get later generation graphics technology on this board through the good old PCI interface. I am now running a PCI Radeon 5450 on this board and I'm pretty sure a GT430 or GT520 (both available with PCI 2.2 interface) would work too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the s5000xvn running Server 2008 R2, originally on a GTX285 and very recently upgraded to an ATI HD5850 with no issues, plays everything max res.

If your board is the board with integrated graphics I believe those PCIe slots are only 8x, that might be an issue or something worth looking at.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can confirm that the ASUS Radeon HD 3450 and EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT both work on my S5000PSL server motherboard. Plug and Play, no extra steps required (i.e. BIOS changes), and running windows 7 Ultimate x64.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a few Intel S5000PSL laying around and end up put together as a few workstations.

The only thing i need to do is disable the onboard video in the bios, and update the board bios so it compatible with windows 7. I'm running the following graphic card with no issues on windows 7 64bit.

Radeon HD 7750

Radeon HD 5870

Nvidia 260GTX

Nvidia 280GTX

0 Kudos
CPIER5
Novice

Same problem with PCIe graphics card

HD 5770

HD 4850

HD ...

run only with HD 3450 PCI édition ( not PCIe )

i wish use video output with sound ( HDMI )

Pierre

Error is BSOD atikmpag ???

0 Kudos