Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5000SVN Power Problem

idata
Employee

Hi! I recently built a server using an S5000XVN motherboard, two 5000 series CPU's and 8g of RAM. The system powers up, I get the splash screen and it goes through a network boot process, fails (fine, I'm not using network boot) and sits there waiting for a boot device. Everything seems fine. So now I need to check everything's working through system Setup. I press F2 when the system boots. It pauses for 10 seconds or so and then simply shuts off.

I looked at my power supply, a dual 400w unit and I find this isn't enough. So I have a 510w single PS I popped in there. I got into setup ok and had a look around (it looks good, 2 CPU's, 8g RAM...) but after about a minute the system just shut off again.

Do I need a much larger power supply or is this a board problem?

Thanks!

1 Reply
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-022646.htm Power budget analysis tool will help you to determine if your power supply is sufficient for your configuration.

I would also check if the heatsink is properly installed - if it's not the CPU gets overheat pretty soon and shuts down itself.

0 Kudos