Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

S5000SVN Power Problem

idata
Community Manager

Hi! I recently built a server using an S5000XVN motherboard, two 5000 series CPU's and 8g of RAM. The system powers up, I get the splash screen and it goes through a network boot process, fails (fine, I'm not using network boot) and sits there waiting for a boot device. Everything seems fine. So now I need to check everything's working through system Setup. I press F2 when the system boots. It pauses for 10 seconds or so and then simply shuts off.

I looked at my power supply, a dual 400w unit and I find this isn't enough. So I have a 510w single PS I popped in there. I got into setup ok and had a look around (it looks good, 2 CPU's, 8g RAM...) but after about a minute the system just shut off again.

Do I need a much larger power supply or is this a board problem?

Thanks!

1 Reply
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-022646.htm Power budget analysis tool will help you to determine if your power supply is sufficient for your configuration.

I would also check if the heatsink is properly installed - if it's not the CPU gets overheat pretty soon and shuts down itself.