Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S5000XSL/PSL not booting with dual CPU, works fine with one.

AS28
Beginner

So! I know, this is an old board and interactive support has ended long ago, but if there is anybody out there who could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

So! I bought this board from a guy on my local buy/sell page, it came just bare. I got 32Gb of FB-DIMM DDR2-667, and two Xeon 5160s and two Xeon X5355s, checking the datasheet for the board to verify that they'll work. I drop in my ram, two CPUs, custom brackets for my Hyper 212 Evo coolers, hard drive, peripherals, and PSU. I turn it on by jumping the appropriate headers, it turns on for a second or so, fans turn, no post codes yet, and then it just quits. Shuts right off. Status LED stays solid green, no post codes happened at all, and no beep codes. Does it for both types of CPU I got. If I just put one CPU into the first socket, it works! Works well too. Posts, no issues, I install my OS, and I'm off to the races. Only half as fast as I could be.

So I start checking things:

• I check both socket's pins, all perfect, not a single one out of line.
  • I check both CPUs, by putting one into the first socket, and booting, and then the other in the first socket, and it boots just fine, no codes.
  • I check if my PSU is going overcurrent, by putting an oscilloscope on the PS_ON pin and the 12v power rail to the CPU VRMs. PS_ON goes high (Shutting the PSU off) before the 12v power rail even twitches. It stays rock solid. It's the motherboard that's shutting itself off for sure.
  • I take out all the ram, peripherals, and fans. It'll still attempt to post without ram, but it'll fail. It still doesn't reach post, just quits.
  • Updated the BMC and BIOS, nope.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AS28
Beginner

AHA! Making progress. So!, managed to get into the IPMI and checked the logs.

INF BMC Power Unit # 01 AC Regained ef [44 0f ff] (I plugged the unit in after inserting the two CPUs.)

MIN BMC Button # 84 Power Button pressed 6f [40 0f ff] (Pressed the power button, obviously.)

CRT BMC Processor # 91 Thermal Trip 6f [41 0f ff] (# 91 is the second CPU)

INF BMC Power Unit # 01 Power Off 6f [40 0f ff]

INF BMC Power Unit # 01 Power Restored ef [40 0f ff]

So looks like the mobo is thinking the CPU is overheating nearly instantly, and then shuts off. Except I know for a fact that it's not, I've applied the thermal paste properly and adjusted the cooler's pressure on the CPU appropriately, and I don't think it's possible for a CPU to go from room temp to thermal trip in half a second. I have also tried swapping the CPU's places, same error, # 91 Thermal Trip. So it must be a mobo issue. Blast.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alex,

Good to know that you made some progress.

Looks like you are on the right track with this and at this point we could try a BIOS update. If the issue remains the same, most likely is a mobo issue then.

Let me know how it goes the BIOS update.

Regards,

Adrian
0 Kudos
AS28
Beginner

Unfortunately I have already tried a BMC and BIOS update, to latest versions downloaded from the download page for my specific motherboard model. Installed using freedos on a USB stick, and the new BMC and BIOS versions are reflected in the BIOS screen.

However, if there is a way to see the pinout for the LGA771 CPU, I might be able to probe out the connections to see how the CPU temp is derived, and what might be going on with that. Are there datasheets available for public use?

Thanks for the response!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update.

Let me check if this information is available with the CPU team and I will get back to you once I have an update.

Regards,

Adrian
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alex,

Basically we do have a datasheet for your processor family but, unfortunately it does not list the pin out of the processor since the pin out information is not shared to the public.

https://www.intel.com/assets/PDF/datasheet/313079.pdf https://www.intel.com/assets/PDF/datasheet/313079.pdf

Regards,

Adrian M
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alex,

We do have a datasheet for his processor family but, it does not list the pin out of the processor.

Also, the pin out information is not shared to the public.

https://www.intel.com/assets/PDF/datasheet/313079.pdf https://www.intel.com/assets/PDF/datasheet/313079.pdf

Best Regards,

Adrian M

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alex,

I am just looking for an update for this case and I am wondering if you still need assistance with this case?

Let me know,

Adrian M

0 Kudos
AS28
Beginner

My apologies! I have been rather busy with work. Using the processor family datasheet, I've probed out a few pins and other areas, and it would appear as though the CPU thermal trip pin is held active by something on the board. So now I'm attempting to figure out what is causing that, probably a bad pin or a short somewhere, definitely an issue with the motherboard. Thanks! I'd say I'm done with this post, it's all down to rectifying the issue with the motherboard. Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the update.

Now I will proceed to close this case for you.

Best Regards,

Adrian M
0 Kudos