Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4750 Discussions

S5000vsa no video signal

SGrec
Beginner

Hi guys, I've a problem with my server board s5000vsa. First it mounts two intel xeon processors e5405, 4gb of ram (All of components are in the list of tested hardware). The problem is that there isn't video signal when i turn on it but if i remove the second cpu all works fine. At this point I was wondering if the cpu is the problem or the board. Anyone knows anything?

I've another same board (with all sata ports broken) and on this the two processors works. Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Are both CPUs of same stepping (check with Intel Processor identification tool on second MB)?

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner

First thanks a lot. What do you mean with same stepping? Thanks

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner

Maybe I understand, do you refer if the cpu are exactly the same? I can tell you that when I've tried to install windows 2008 rt I've got an error because the cpu are not exactly the same and I was constricted to install windows 2003 (this version was installed fine). Did you want to know this?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner

All of this on the second MB

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Here is a result of Intel Processor ID tool:

Yu can see fields named CPU Stepping and CPU Revision. That fields is like version number, because Intel made changes in CPU in time. This numbers generally should be identical for multiprocessor system to its work, because CPUs must be synchronized to split load between them.

CPUs of different steppings may work together, but often not, and sometimes mainboard should be specially configured to allow different CPU steppings. So please run the proposed tool and check steppings and revision fields, screenshots welcome.

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Here is from Intel document http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000vsa/sb/s5000vsa_msu_november_09.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5000vsa/sb/s5000vsa_msu_november_09.pdf :

38. BIOS R0094 Does Not Support Mixed Stepping E-0 and C-0 Processors

Problem BIOS code specifically designed to allow support for mixed stepping processors was not included in BIOS R0094.

Implication The use of mixed stepping E-0 and C-0 processors and BIOS R0094 may cause errratic system behavior such as operating systems failing to load or install.

Status This erratum was fixed in BIOS R0096 and later version.

Workaround None

One of your board may have needed BIOS update, while problem one - not. BTW, even if BIOS upgrade helps, you will be still unable to use some Windows Server features like Failover Clustering or Hyper-V: http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/05/03/the-server-that-has-multiple-cpus-with-different-cpu-revision-and-stepping-is-no-boot-after-hyper-v-role-is-enabled.aspx http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/05/03/the-server-that-has-multiple-cpus-with-different-cpu-revision-and

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner

Thanks a lot, I've checked it from bios because now the MB is working (with one cpu) e adesso metterò gli screenshot. I was wondering if is possible upgrade (or downgrade) the BIOS to read the second cpu also.

I've noticed that also this board can't power off in regular way, I have to keep pressed the power button (this happens also with linux, now is running windows server). Instead no problem with reboot. Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner
0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Well, yes, the CPUs are from different stepping. You can try with BIOS upgrade as in Intel document, but such configuration is not recommended for production use.

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner

Thanks a lot JFFulcrum for your help, I think I'm going to buy a cpu with a stepping I need.

Can you tell me something about the problem with the power off? thanks
0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

I've noticed that also this board can't power off in regular way, I have to keep pressed the power button (this happens also with linux, now is running windows server). Instead no problem with reboot.

You mean that server is not going off by single-pressing Power button? Thats by design, its protection from accident offs, there is an option in MB BIOS (like Power button action - with current value 4-sec override).

0 Kudos
SGrec
Beginner

Hi, today I've received the new cpu with the correct stepping but I'm getting the same problem. What can be? Thanks a lot

0 Kudos