Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

S5500HCR with a AXX6DRV3GEXP, what else do I need?

idata
Employee

I'm setting up a new server with a S5500HCR main board, a AXX6DRV3GEXP drive bay and a AXXRAKSW5. I'd like to run six SATA drives, a raid 1 array, a raid 5 array and hot spare. Can I do this with the drive bay and do I need any other modules to make it work. I've always used non-expandable drive bays before. Thanks

3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Expander backplanes work with SAS controllers only. Why do you use an expander backplane, if you're using SATA drives only?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bad information mostly. I was under the impression that the Intel Server configure would warn you if you left a component out. I guess it missed that I didn't add a SAS module or a raid card. I was under the impression that it would work directly from the board. I never have found any info on the expander cage beyond the installation instruction.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Long time ago, it was even more confusing for boards like S5000XVN, it came in different flavours S5000XVNSATAR or S5000XVNSASR etc.

Customer used to get S5000XVNSATAR with an expander backplane and thought that it was going to work. Unfortunately, it would never work as Edward said above, expander backplane works with sas controller.

Customer was left with fw options either:

1. change the expander backplane to non expander

2. change the board to S5000XVNSASR as it has got a sas and sata controller.

3. Buy a validated raid SAS controller adapter.

A document called spare parts and lists were sometimes useful to check before placing an order.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520hc/sb/hc_sc_rgt_configurationguide_r2_1.pdf

Ref:

http://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-3013

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

0 Kudos