Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S5520HCR and HPE H241 Smart Host Bus Adapter

SSchm10
Beginner

Hi,

we want to connect a HPE H241 Smart Host Bus Adapter on a S5520HCR to a HPE MSA 2040 Storage.

Is it possible to run a HPE H241 on a S5520HCR?

I look forward to your reply

IT Sam

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi ITSam77,

Thank you for reaching out, I just reviewed your question and here is what I found.

First of all I need to mention the board you are using is already in an End of interactive support stage, which means support is no longer available and resources may be quite limited.

The first I noticed is that HPE H241 Smart Host Bus Adapter works at x16 and the Boards PCI ports even though the will phisically take x 16 cards it has x8 bandwith, which means that if the adapter is backwards compatible it will work at x8 max, losing 50% of its performance in the other hand if the adapter is not backwards compatible it will just not work at all.

Second the Adapter was released for HPE Gen9 server (about 4 years ago) and the board started the retiring process back in '09, which means the board supports PCIe 2.0 and the card is based on PCIe 3.0, which could lead to incompatibility due the the batch size sent by the card and how much of it the board can take. There is backwards compatibility on this technologies but then again the performance will suffer a lot out of it.

Third the boards validation list is not available

In conclusion, If you can confirm the card has backwards compatibility with x8 bandwidth and PCie 2.0, there shouldn't be any major problem on using it other than the severe performance loss, however, based on the fact that the validation list is not available it is assumable that this set up was never tested on our end, hence Intel does not endorse nor does encourages its usage as it may lead to undesired results when used.

I hope this answers to your question or at least provides you with a starting point, If you have any further question or concern or in the other hand the case can be set as closed please let me know, I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Kenneth R.

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ITSam77,

This goes as a follow up on this matter I hope you had the chance to review the information provided, helps to clarify your doubt, and also if further assistance is needed.

In any case I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Ken
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ITSam77,

This goes as a follow up on this matter I hope you had the chance to review the information provided, helps to clarify your doubt, and also if further assistance is needed.

In any case I'll stay tuned to your comments.

Ken
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ITSam77,

This goes as a follow up, since we haven't heard fro you in the last few days we assume no further assistance is needed, hence, we're setting this trend as resolved, anyway if you need anything else please let us know

Ken

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos