Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

SASUC8I drive detection

idata
Employee

Hi,

have a problem with the SASUC8I controller, it's detecting nothing.

Cables are 1:1 ('straight').

Harddisks connected:

2x DeLock 32GB SSD in SATA-Backplane

2x OCZ 64GB SSD in SATA-Backplane

2x WD 160GB Raid-Edition directly cable-connected

2x WD 250GB Raid-Edition directly cable-connected

Controller only shows nothing found.

Tried a firmwareupdate but it changed nothing.

What can I check next?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

The SASUC8I hasn't been tested with SSDs, but the Western Digital disks you have look fine. Fine in that we've got 160 and 250GB SATA HDDs on the http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sasuc8i/sb/sasuc8i_thol_5_0.pdf Tested Hardware and Operating Systems List for the SASUC8I.

The next check I'd do would be to only connect two of the Western Digital SATA disks. Direct connect to the 0-3 port connector. That will eliminate a number of the unknowns in your current configuration.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for this fast answer, never set up a sas/sata device before (only scsi)

tested, referred to manual to identify the 0-3 port disconnected all other and only left 2 WD-HDDs at system, no change happens device still didn't find any devices.

Here the cable I use. Maybe 2 damaged cables due to shipment?!?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can never say never, but it's highly unlikely you have two bad cables.

SAS / SATA cables are not included with the SASUC8I. So for proper SASUC8I cabling information, see the "http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/SASUC8I/sb/CS-029816.htm What cables do I need to connect the controller to disk drives or a backplane?" support page.

Make sure you're using only "straight" SAS cables, not "cross-over" SAS cables. You can try either the J2 or J5 SFF8087 SAS/SATA connector on the RAID controller and any of the 4 HDD cable connectors to connect to your disk drives. That should eliminate most concerns of the cable integrity.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The cables I use are SAS SFF8087 to 4x SATA (1:1) so following the link they should work. And as the schematic above shows they should be straight.

Some more Informations about the Controller:

LSI Corp Config Utility v6.34.00.00 (2010.12.07)

MPT Firmware Revision 1.32.00.00-IR

NVDATA Version 2D.02

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm reaching the end of my suggesitons here.

There is a slightly newer http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21125 firmware for the SASUC8I controller available. The Integrated RAID (IR) BIOS Version is the same at 06.34.00.00, but the Integrated RAID (IR) Firmware Version is a dot rev higher. 1.32.04 as opposed to 1.32.00.

That's grasping at straws, but as I said i'm reaching the end of my suggesitons here.

The only other possibilities is that the controller isn't compatible with the system you're installing it into and there may be BIOS memory conflicts. If that's the case you may want to try updating the sytem BIOS and firmware too.

Or the controller amuy simply be bad.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Updated to 1.32.04 no change.

System is an INTEL DX79SI - BIOS SIX7910J.86A.0460.2012.0327.1627

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Connected the support and it aggreed that the controller might be damaged, will have to phone the related supporting crew after the holidays will report after that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Was asked to double check controller at an other Computer. And to check the cables at an other controller...

Really bad both cables are damaged... got a new one solving my problems!

Thanks for help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Btw. the SSD are running too. (OCZ are Samsung chipped one) ;-)

0 Kudos