Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

SASWT4I RAID controller and Hitachi SATA HDD

idata
Employee

Hi All!

We have a problem with detection Hitachi SATA HDD by SASWT4I RAID controller in our Intel server (5500BC). Previously we had to replace one of the Seagate Baraccuda HDD in RAID 1 array as it was damaged. The reseller was not able to provide Seagate Baraccuda as no longer manufactured. So now there are a Seagate and a Hitachi HDD in the server, but only the old Seagate HDD is working. The RAID volume is still in degraded state. When I enter in LSI BIOS I can only see the Seagate HDD, but not the Hitachi.

I have already upgraded both the server and raid controller bios. Replace SATA cable. Checked Hitachi HDD in different computer, but nothing helped.

Any ideas what to do? Should the new Hitachi HDD appear in LSI config and RAID start to rebuild automatically?

Thanks, Gabor

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Gabor,

It should if the drive is as big or bigger than the drive you're replacing. I'm not talking about the manufacture advertised size, like "750GB", but the actual specification size, like 749.325GB.

Are you using disk drives that appear on the SASWT4I http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/SASWT4I/sb/CS-029917.htm Tested Hardware & Operating Systems list?

Regards, John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John,

The drives are:

- Seagate Barracuda ES Series 7200.2 (ST31000340NS), reported (Intel RAID web console) "Usable" capacity is: 931.322GB

- Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 (HUA722010CLA330), I am not sure how to check the specification size as it is not detected by the RAID controller. Moreover I am unable to find information from Hitachi.

I have checked the tested hardware list. The Hitachi model is on the list, but looks to me an older version. However the list was updated 3 years ago. I guess it is reflected that version of bios of the controller.

If you were confirm that this hitachi would not work with the controller I would highly appreciate. I would like to know the reason. It would be graetful to know what type of disk I can use which is available now on the market.

Many thanks, Gabor

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Gabor,

From what I can find Googling around the Internet is for the Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 the total logical formatted capacity data bytes = 1,000,204,886,016. So that would fulfill the at least as large or larger requirement.

Thinking about it, that wouldn't be a reason why the drive wouldn't be recognized by the controller. Are you at the latest firmware version for the SAWT4I? We posted a http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21550&lang=eng new version on July 10.

Unfortunately for the SASWT4I we stopped manufacturing it earlier this year and as controllers near end of life, there isn't any appreciable new validation done for them. So we're probably stuck with the list of validated drives that we have. One thing I might suggest, but can't guarantee it will work, would be to go with a replacement disk drive as recommended by Seagate for the original.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John,

I used that version to upgrade fw. I have checked again the firmware versions by Intel RAID Webconsole 2:

NVDATA version: 2D.02

BIOS version: 06.34.00.00_03.20.00.00

Firmware package version: 01.32.04.06.34.00.00_03.20.00.00

Firmware version: 01.32.04.00

Can you confirm that these versions are the latest, please!

I need to check with Seagate what they recommend instead of the original.

Is it possible that the ports are damaged on the RAID controller and now only one is working? I checked with a different HDD (500GB WD), but it was not detected.

Thanks, Gabor

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Gabor,

The RWC2 data you have is what the latest posted firmware version would show.

The SASWT4I has four data ports. You're using two drives for your RAID 1, correct? I suppose that the ports may have failed, but three of the four ports failing? It doesn't seem likely.

You may want to http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone contact customer support to provide better troubleshooting than we can do here in the forums

Regards, John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi John,

Replacing the raid controller solved to the same model (SASWT4I) the problem. So, I guees something was damaged or has been changed since 2009 when we bought the original one.

Thanks, Gabor

0 Kudos