Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

SC5299BRP case S5000VSA MB and 2 Xeon Dual Core Processors

idata
Community Manager

I have all this stuffed into the case. I have had numerous problems in the past, but I got the server to post using an old processor.

Now I am getting an amber light on the bottom most light on the front of the case. All of the operating parameters are good. What could be causing this?

Also, I am getting an amber light next to the rear case fan power connector, and the fan only runs on high, like the thing thinks it is hot.

I have two versions of this board. I think the new board is in the server with the older processor, the E5300. The older board is supports E5400 and will not post with the two E5400 processors.

I fried a couple of hard drives and I don't know what else fried on the old board. The RAM and the new board post and work fine. I am using it as a NAS machine with BSD. I would like to put the thing back together and use it as a server again, if I can do so without breaking the bank. I have already purchased a new power supply and the new board(which is actuall an older version of the original board).

Is there a way to know if the processors are bad or if the board is bad other than purchasing a new board ($240)?

Should I just scrap the whole thing and start over? I hope not? I have 2 E5400 Xeons that might be good, a couple of boards, and good RAM, and a case that I think is good.

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

You can still boot up the server right? You can run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18949 SEL Viewer to check what's causing the amber LED. Also please provide the PBA# of the board and SL# of the processor.