Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

SE7501HG2 board will not POST

idata
Employee

Board is mounted in a SC5200 chassis. When powered on it shows the bios for the Rage XL card, shows Lan Boot Agent. Freezes after that with a blinking cursor.. If I try to PXE boot, it shows MAC address, no DHCP and then goes to a blinking cursor. Have tried all available bios available through Intel, Recovery appears to work and I get two beeps at the end of recovery, All hardware is disconnected, have tried changing RAM and Processor. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Will it boot to a bootable floppy or CD-ROM?

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No. I have tried reinstalling the BMC, FDU ect by modified floppy but nothing works. The screen is off during bios recovery so no way to boot to an operating system or emergency disk. Now the lights on the fans are on. I think I've got a toasted M/B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Figured out that reinstalling two pci cards back into the server and it posted. If I remove the cards, it fails. I would like to remove these cards (Dialogic) as they are not needed anymore. What could be causing the system not to post without the cards installed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is a strange one. Usually it's the other way around. You may want to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. If you can't do that from the BIOS, remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes so so to reset the BIOS.

John

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Already tried all of that. Tried pulling card with server running and update the bios. No dice. Server will not boot to bios with out the card installed. Operates perfectly with card installed. Doesn't matter what slot it's installed in. Almost like Dialogic installed a pre-boot pxe code or something.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Seems like your BIOS recovery and booting to a floppy should have gotten around that. I don't know what to tell you. I haven't heard of anything like this. But I also haven't had much, if any, experience with Dialogic cards.

John

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Here's an oddball thought, if the SE7501HG2 isn't putting enough draw on the 5V rail to start up the power supply. The Dialogic cards were pretty heavy users of the +5V rail, if I remember correctly.

Before you try replacing the motherboard, have you tried a different power supply?

0 Kudos