Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

SR2625URLX, ESXi 4 and Raid Web Console 2

idata
Employee

Hi,

we have this scenario:

-server1 SR2625URLX with vmware ESXi4

-server2 SC5600BRP+S5520HC+AXXROMBSASMR+battery with Windows 2008 and Intel RAID Web Console 2 (6.90.0400)

-pc1 Windows XP and Intel RAID Web Console 2 (6.90.0400)

If we have server1 and server2 powered, we can administer both servers from pc1 without any problem. But, if we shutdown server2, then pc1 is unable to discover server2 and thus we can't administer the RAID controller.

Why the RAID console needs server2 to discover server1 ?

What must we change to make it to work without server2 ?

Thanks

Josep

7 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

"if we shutdown server2, then pc1 is unable to discover server2" - are you trying to administer the RAID controller when the server is shut down? Or did you mean that if you shut down server2, then you can't discover server1?

If I recall correctly, a single instance of the RAID Web Console running, will find all the Intel RAID cards on the network. But if you don't have RWC2 on server1, then you don't have a way to contact it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

you are correct:

"Or did you mean that if you shut down server2, then you can't discover server1?"

was my mistake.

server1 runs ESXi 4 and I didn't added any sotfware. Is RWC2 supplied by vmware ? Or maybe I must install a Intel version of RWC2 for vmware ?

All the docs from Intel says that this platform is fully compatible with vmware. In fact, if server2 is running all is fine.

How to solve it !!

Thanks

Josep

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

I don't think there is RAID controller software that runs in the hypervisor. If you need remote access to the RAID card information, you will have to have a central RAID server running on the network.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

we need to install server1 in a datacenter. There be no other Intel server in this place. Thus we will not able to administer our RAID volumes.

Other makers (Dell, HP) have this function supported, and they are using the same LSI Logic hardware.

As you can see in http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022358.htm ( pag 77 ) it works in ESXi 3.5. Maybe there are no support for ESXi 4 ?

Thanks

Josep

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there,

I made an exciting discovery:

after upgrading free ESXi 4.0 to 4.1.0 Build 260247, Intel RWC2 automatically discovers ESXi via the managment IP.

You will have to provide username and password for ESXi.

RWC2 works slow, but it works!

Successfully tested on SR2600URLXR and SC5650HCBRPR

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Marky0,

thanks for the tip !!

I did the upgrade yesterday, but still it doesn't work.

Can you provide details about your setup ?

I'm very disappointed and tired with this issue. I don't understand that the whole system is compatible with VMWARE but is not possible to administer the RAID, and support is not available to solve it.

Regards

Josep

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is my config:

Server System SR2625URLXR with RMM3 installed (all components running latest FW)

SROMBSASMP2 (FW version 1.40.92-0746)

ESXi 4.1.0 Build 260247

RWC2 5.00.1200

0 Kudos