Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

SS-4200e causes XP network connection to crash

idata
Employee

I recently bought the SS-4200e storage device. The following problem occurs with 3 different computers running Windows XP Professional: After an indeterminable time of transferring data to or from the storage using either ftp or windows share (Samba) the network connection of the client XP computer hangs. That is, there is no possibility of transferring any data via this network interface. Trying to ping the storage device or any ip address on command line results in a "host unreachable" message. Trying to renew the client's ip address results in freezing of this attempt. Trying to deactivate and activate the network connection results in freezing of this action too. The only solution is to reboot this client XP computer. However, the storage device remains accessible from other client computers (XP) until they also hang. I tried different network setups including different switches (100/1000) and cabling. The 3 client XP computers all run XP Professional but with differing firewall and anti-virus products which I also deactivated.The SS-4200e has a static ip address and everything is within the same workgroup.

Using Linux there is no problem at all, there i can transfer hundreds of GBs of data without any problems. But Linux is not my primary OS. Does anyone know a solution to this strange problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Well, if it works fine with a different OS, the hardware's probably OK. Did you look at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-029093.htm ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, i have practically the same problem, except that i'm using windows 2000 server to copy data from. After some time (random) moving files using the windows explorer interface the ss4200-e stops responding, sometimes the power LED is blinking and sometimes is not. What i have to do is to depress the power button by 5 seconds to force the shutdown, everithing is normal after turning on the device again. When i go to the log, i just see "unit powered off","unit powered on".

I have tried workgroup, domain, dynamic and static ip and the only thing that is apparently working(i have 6 days without resseting) is doing the copy operations FTP via, but i need to join this server to the domain, but FTP is disabled when using AD.

BTW: i have the latest frimware and checked all my files for name longs. Can you tell me where is the problem?

thanks

Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Might be an unrelated problem. What firmware version is on yours? Does it also behave fine with a different OS installed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan:

My firmware version is 1.1.11.32736. I have also tried with XP OS based computers and had the same problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My problem still occurs. I checked the bug concerning the 256 characters in path names by copying files directly to the root of the public folder. However, even then the systems hangs eventually. I then upgraded the system's firmware as described in the bug report, but to no avail. There is no pattern whatsoever recognizable. Hopefully, Windows 7 will relief me of this problem, when I get it some day..

0 Kudos