Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

SS4000-E drives not mounting

idata
Employee

I have 3 drives installed in my SS4000-E configured as linear. Everything's been working ever since I got it (about 5 months ago). This afternoon I noticed I couldn't access any of the NFS shares. I logged into the web UI and I see the 2nd drive isn't being detected...no green power on the drive bay. I tried removing/reinserting, but it's a no go. I also tried putting it on the spare bay, and still would not turn on. The other 2 drives however have green power indicators. I tried power cycling, but it didn't help. I see that the drive indicator is blinking orange and the system indicator (the one with an exclamation point inside a triangle) is solid orange. I'm able to ping the box, go to the web UI, and SSH into it as well...but none of the other 2 drives that are getting power are mounting. Please help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Isn't "Linear" RAID 0? Just a stripe set, no redundancy?

If I'm remembering the terminology correctly, that would make sense. You can't lose a drive in a RAID 0 and still have cohesive data.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Linear is not RAID0...not a stripe set. Linear is JBOD. I configured each drive to only have 1 parition each...not extending to any other existing partition and/or drive...so 3 drives and each drive having their own independent partitions. So in case I lose 1 drive, the other 2 drives should not be affected...in theory.

The thing that's bugging me more is, I called support...and it looks like I know more about the product that the support person. At first the guy was insisting that the SS4000-E can only do RAID0 and RAID1...and that it can't be configured as linear ...we were back and forth for a good hour until he admitted that indeed it can do linear. I explained my setup to the guy, and he said he was going to setup his test unit the same...and he never called me back!

I knew this guy was some sort of rookie so I asked whether he can just forward my case to a level 2 tech person...he said they don't have any level 2 techs. Anyone know if this is true?!

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

You're absolutely correct - the User Guide says "For example, in a linear configuration, when you remove a disk or a disk fails, the data

associated with that disk is no longer available, but the data on all the other disks remains available." (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4000-e/sb/CS-022215.htm)

Sorry, it was a thought off the top of my head.

Anyone else have an idea?

0 Kudos