Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

SS4200-E NAS Shares on Subfolders Possible?

idata
Employee

I have a SS4200-E with latest software version 1.1.11.32736. I'd like to have shares on subfolders (separate access rights for different users on a subfolder level), e.g.

subfolder home/user1 read/write access for user user1

subfolder home/user2 read/write access for user user2

subfolder home/user3 read/write access for user user3

folder home and its subfolders read/write access for user admin

Is this possible with the SS4200-E?

If not, is there any linux package for SS4200-E or SS4200-EHW available that allow this?

Thanks and best regards, Stefan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi Stefan,

From what I understand, you are trying to create individual folders for individual users and ensuring that they are not accessible by any user other than the owner of the folder or only the users that are exclusively granted permission.

This is doable in SS4200-E.

I am attaching a software guide for SS4200-E and on Page 21 till 23, you will find guidelines on how to achieve that.

If you still have any problems, feel free to write to us.

Thank you and have a nice day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Javed,

thanks, I already know how to do it on a folder level. What I asked for was doing it at a *sub*folder level (on folders below an other folder, *not* on a folder at the upper most level) as shown in my example. Any solution? Thanks in advance, Stefan

0 Kudos
JLodh
New Contributor II

Hi Stefan,

Unfortunately, it's not possible. The storage stack that SS4200-E uses does not allow a user to restrict access on subfolder level since the restrictions can only be applied on the root level folder. Similarly, it was not possible with older generation NAS SS4000-E however I can't really comment on some other storage stack that provisions a user to do something of the sort.

Now, I am not saying that other solutions are impossible. As a matter of fact, there are a few scenarios we had discussed, let me work on them and I will see if I can suggest a workaround for this as I understand, it's a basic requirement that even I myself had been wanting to do.

Let's stay in touch on this. Thank you for your patience, have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

0 Kudos