Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

SS4200-E doesn't boot

idata
Employee

Hey,

I tried to start up my SS4200 today and it doesn't boot anymore.

For about 10 seconds it starts normally (I can see the boot up process via serial console). Then device seems to switch itself off (it doesn't in fact). The two upper front HDD LEDS (HDD 2 & 3) are flashing very fast (looks almost like constant light). The green motherboard LED is still on. The two rear fans are still spinning but on low speed. The serial console output ceases completely. The same if I go to BIOS or booting normally.

I can switch the device off by pressing POWER several seconds. If I turn it on again it goes directly into the mode (upper LEDS flashing, no output). I can remove the power cord, wait a minute and switch on normally. And it goes into this strange mode again after 10 seconds.

Is it broken? Does anyone have a clou? I tried to restart with holding the RESET button. But it's the same.

Thanks,

buzz

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If you remove AC power, pull all drives out by an inch or so, then power on, does it boot all the way up?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, I already removed all drives. It's exactly the same.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It sounds like the SS4200-E has failed in some way. Without the HDDs connected you have just the SS4200-E booting from the Disk on Module (DOM). That's about as basic as you can get. The SS4200-E has a three year warranty, you can contact http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone Intel Customer Support and request a replacement if your's is within three years old.

If you do get a warranty replacement, just put your existing HDDs in the same locations and you should be good to go.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos