Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

SSD DC S3500: Can I use TRIM in a RAID1

PStau1
Beginner

Hello Community

I think about use SSD DC S3500 240GB in a SBS 2011

I read the INTEL driver supports TRIM.

So, can I use TRIM in a RAID1 (Hardware or Windows Software Raid)?

Thank you

Pat5

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

TRIM in RAID depends on the storage controller in your motherboard or RAID controller you are going to use. Basically you would like to verify that such controller supports TRIM in RAID configurations.

0 Kudos
PStau1
Beginner

Hello joe_intel,

thanks for responding.

I read that Intel supports TRIM since august 2012, so I was hoping that the TRIM command may work with a Windows 2008 R2 software Raid and the right drivers .

It seems that Intel only supports the 7 series chipset with drivers TRIM integrated.

I know there is RST for the C202 chipset, but there is no information about driver with TRIM.

I think it's too early to have RAID 1 with SSD in Small Business.

thank you

pat5

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

TRIM in RAID is supported with Intel® Z77 Chipset and newer. I see there are some versions of Intel® Rapid Storage available for Windows* Server 2008 R2; however, considering that the Intel® C202 Chipset is a server chipset and it will probably use Intel® Rapid Storage Enterprise we will need further information to confirm the support of this feature since it will also depend on the implementation of the board manufacturer (OEM) and the BIOS and RAID option ROM used. It is because of this that we would like to know if this is an Intel® motherboard or third party brand, please share the model number.

So far the information for chipsets in general is provided in the article below; you may take a look to the last row of the first table.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm Intel� Rapid Storage Technology (Intel� RST); RAID features by chipset/controller hub

0 Kudos
PStau1
Beginner

It´s a D3009-Axx Mainboard from Fujitsu Siemens TX S3p with a Aptio bios from American Megatrend, Inc, Hardwareraid ROM from LSI Embedded MegaRAID

I already read the information for the Chipset, last modified last Year, I thought, maybe some Change since then :-)

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

In this case it will be better to ask the board manufacturer.

0 Kudos