Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

Server 2012 R2 efi installation

HFare
Beginner

Hi,

I am currently trying to install windows 2012 R2 on an Intel S5520HC with a RS2BL080 Raid controller. I have 6 x 2TB drives configured in RAID 10 and due to the size of the array I have to use EFI to install windows on a GPT style partition table. The issue I have is that the installation fails at copying windows files during installation process. I have tried enabling EFI optimised boot and use Legacy Video as per GPT White paper found on Intel website, this causes the installation to hang at 0% during 'copying windows files' phase. If I disable optimised boot and use EFI shell to start installation I get a windows blue screen at the 'copying windows files' phase. I can install 2012 R2 with MBR partition but lose the remainder of my array.

I have updated firmware of mainboard and raid controller and still no joy, I also found a compatibility list for mainboard and server 2012 is there but no idea if 2012 R2 would be different though I tried installing 2012 STD and it fails same place.

Any help would be much appreciated.s

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Did you load the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23587 RAID driver during installation?

HFare
Beginner

I did install the driver during installation but come to think of it I only used the driver when I had EFI optimised boot enabled in BIOS and did not try when I disabled it.

I changed my configuration of RAID so that I do not need to install Windows Server on a drive greater than 2TB.

Thanks for your assistance Edwardzh but I think I am going to leave it at that.