Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Server CPU and Case Fans are very LOUD

idata
Employee

Hi

Have just setup an intel server which has a Intel S2600CP4 SSI Motherboard and a Intel P4308XXMHEN server case and the CPU fan sounds like it a rocket as do the 2 standard case fans.

I have tried making changes in the BIOS to the FAN settings but doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version but doesn't help either.

Have checked the case FANs are running at:

3402rpm and 4720rpm.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great as is a big problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Make sure the two system fans are connected to System Fan Header 1 & 2. Was the chassis detected/selected correctly during FRU/SDR update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have checked and both FANs are connected to the SysFan 1 and 2. (Colours match as well (White and Blue))

The SDR version I'm running is 1.08.

I can't see where it tells me if the case is detected but in the Intel deployment software it shows the Chassis as Main Server Chassis but doesn't list the manufacture.

I have run the BIOS update along with the other updates and during the BMC update the fans go very quite like they are adjusting but then once this is finished and the BIOS update continues they get very loud again.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Do you mind also trying to run the BIOS/firmware update under EFI shell?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did the normal BIOS update again and this time it seems to have made the CPU fan spin at a normal speed.

0 Kudos