Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Server Platform S5400SF

FEsse
Beginner

Hi .. anyone knows whether the S5400SF platform supports Windows 2008 R2 (64Bit) in EFI mode ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Frank_Esser,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

The S5400SF board offers support up to Windows 2008 SP1 but unfortunately, it does not support EFI installation.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Frank_Esser,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

The S5400SF board offers support up to Windows 2008 SP1 but unfortunately, it does not support EFI installation.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

FEsse
Beginner

Hello ,

many thanks for your response . Just one question . Which OLD platform supports Windows Server2008R2 (64Bit) in EFI mode .

Thanks a lot .

Kind regards ,

Frank .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank_Esser,,

I will do some further research on that question and get back in contact with you soon.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Frank_Esser,,

We found that support for EFI began with the 5520 series of Intel boards. Let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
FEsse
Beginner

Hello ,

I found a server SR1600URHSR with 5520UR Mainboard on eBay .

This server should support Windows Server 2008R2 (64Bit) in EFI mode .

Do I see that right ?

Kind regards ,

Frank .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank_Esser,

Yes, the board supports the operating system which can be checked here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007663/server-products.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007663/server-products.html. Additionally, I am attaching the white paper that shows how to install your Operating System in EFI mode on this board.

Best regards,

David A.
0 Kudos
FEsse
Beginner

Hello,

Do I need RAID to install an operating system?

Unfortunately , my server does not have a CD drive , so I have to prepare a USB stick and

my installation CD has no folder `` efi \ boot`` and thus no file `` bootx64.efi``.

Some work but no problem .

I`ll get back ....

Best regards ,

Frank .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

It is not required to create a RAID configuration for this. However, you still need to install it using bootx64.efi otherwise, you would still be doing a BIOS installation. Let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

I just wanted to check if the last post that I made helped you out with your question. Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.
0 Kudos
FEsse
Beginner

Hello Franklin,

Yes and no .

The setup starts normally until I choose the installation partition and click on `` Next``.

The next screen will display the message: `` Windows files will be copied ``.

The copying process starts. , .., ...,,. ein ``Blauer Bildschirm `` erscheint .">.. -> a `` blue screen `` appears. STOP: 0x0000001e (0xffff ffff c000 0005, ...)

Without error message: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

No indication of a driver or hardware.

I'm in contact with another support representative from Intel.

He says that Windows Server 2008R2 definitely will not install on this platform.

He recommended the S5520HC platform to me, pointing out the supported operating systems (Win Srv2008 in EFI mode). I bought this platform.

There was the same problem as with the 5520UR platform.

The identical `` blue screen`` ..

In the words of the Queen `` I am not amused ``.

I'm still waiting for the answer from Microsoft.

Best regards ,

Frank.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

Based on the documentation that we shared with you previously the install should be possible. I think some feedback from Microsoft will be very helpful for you in this particular case. I will do further research on those error messages. If you get a reply from Microsoft we would appreciate if you share it with us.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
FEsse
Beginner

Hello Franklin,

here again the full error message:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005,0x000000008E33CD1C, 0x00000000000000008,0x00000008E33CD1C).

I tried a little and found that the copy process is complete ("Windows files are being copied").

The "blue screen" occurs when it switches to the next menu item:

"The files are extracted".

The support of Microsoft is unfortunately not compared to Intel.

To get support for an old operating system, I have to buy this support ?!?! ... 300, - € ( approx 355 USD ) .

The Community has no solution yet (no answers).

Best regards ,

Frank.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

I know you mentioned you even bought an additional S5520HC platform to attempt the install but, are you using the same ram memory?

I just would like to see if there is a chance you have a faulty ram memory. Could you download memtest from memtest.org and run it against the ram memory that you are using to see if it throws any errors?

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Frank,

Any news on your attempts to install Windows Server 2008 on the S5400SF board? Did you try the suggestion I made on my last post? We wish we could make deeper suggestions but it is a little challenging since we no longer have that board model to run tests.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
FEsse
Beginner

Hello Franklin,

Yes, I downloaded and run "memtestx86" as a boot image.

The test ran for 5 days. Memtest has not found any errors.

I have read in the monthly specification updates (July 2013) Erratum 50 of the server platform S5520UR that it comes under the BIOS revision 63, to crash the installation of WinSrv2008R2 on GPT disks.

Users are advised to perform a BIOS downgrade to version 61 or older.

That would be my next step now.

Meanwhile, I have installed WinSrv2008R2 in legacy mode on my S5520HC platform. I need a working server (urgent) . But also on this platform I would like to install WinSrv2008R2 in EFI mode for security reasons.

Now I can "play" with the S5520UR platform.

Best regards ,

Frank.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Frank,

Great to hear that your ram memories seem to be working properly. Did you try the BIOS downgrade that you mentioned?

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Frank,

I just wanted to check if you had any news on the different tests that you were making with the EFI install of Windows Server 2008. Thank you.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Frank,

How is the EFI install of Windows Server 2008 going? Any luck? Sorry that our help has been limited in this particular case. If you are still experiencing issues I can try to seek for additional assistance. Thank you.

Best regards,

Franklin S.

Intel Technical Support.
0 Kudos