Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Server not booting

BMcAn1
Beginner

Hi,

My Server has been working great for almost 6 months but has just failed on me. It has not moved location and no hardware changes etc...

It is no longer able to boot and was attempting to start every 10 seconds or so with the fans spinning up briefly and stopping again almost immediately.

After a few attempts there are some bios beeps and the process starts over.

The motherboard is an INTEL SERVER BOARD S3420GPLC with a XEON X3430 CPU.

I first of all removed all hardware except 1 stick of memory and the CPU which has the same issue.

I then tested the Server PSU on another PC and it works fine and the PC CPU has the exact same symtoms on the server which I believe rules out a PSU issue.

I then took out the motherboard and tested from the desk on foam to rule out some sort of short from the chassis though since it has been fine for some months now this was unikely and more to rule it out.

I dont have a replacement CPU or Motherboard at the moment but have tried various of the 4 sticks of memory each with the same result so assume the issue is down to motherboard or CPU.

Current Hardware

XEON X3430 2.66GHZ SKT1156

VENDOR PART: BX80605X3430

INTEL SERVER BOARD S3420GPLC

VENDOR PART: S3420GPLC

I need to build 2 more PCs this week so have ordered the following which I should have by Tuesday and hopefully I can further test with.

Core i3-540/3.06GHz 4MB QPI DDR3 LGA1156

Intel BOXDH55PJ Classic series Motherboard LGA1156,

Other info:

Opening it up, when it first attempts to boot, the motherboard lights are green. After a few attempts at booting, the small indicator light goes amber just before the bios beeps start.

This tends to make me think the CPU is more likely to be the issue but is really a guess.

Removing the CPU and the board only light up with no fan movement, which again sounds normal motherbaord behaviour.

I will contact Intel support when the open again tomorrow but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Brendan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

It would depend on the beep code. Is it 3 beeps, or 1-5-4-2, or what?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan

All of a sudden our server is making that beeping sequence, 1 then 5 then 4 then 2 when physically turning off the server. What does it mean?

Our server will no longer boot?!

0 Kudos