Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Server with only a 16GB DIMM

Lopes_Inform-C_Tecno

Message during startup:

Error...! Invalid DIMM Population.

DIMM slot A1/B1 can,t be populated when DIMM slot A2/B2 is not populated on the same channel

Press (y) to continue . <n> to Shutdown

Model Motherboard: DBS1200SPSR

How to solve ?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Paulo,

Thank you so much for contacting us about this concern.

Could you please so kind and provide us more information about the Memory RAM that you are using? Such as: Brand Name, Memory Type, Speed and also how many modules are you using?

On the other hand, please check link below with the PDF File and Technical Product Specification of the Motherboard; if you go to section 3.3.1.1 you will be able to find some details about the Memory Population Rules:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/S1200SP_TPS_AllSKU.PDF

Please if you have any other question do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Emeth O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Paulo,

I am following up your thread in order to verify if you were able to double check the information provided previously. If you have any other question please do not hesitate and let me know.

Regards,

Emeth O.

0 Kudos
Lopes_Inform-C_Tecno

Hello Emeth

I checked the informed manual. So to be able to use 16GB of RAM, it should be 4 DIMMs of 4GB.

Since we have already purchased a 16GB DIMM, I can disregard the message when I start by pressing Y.

Is there a way to disable this message?

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi Paulo, Thank you so much for provide me the information. Yes, indeed we need to follow the memory population rules in order to avoid any kind of error or warning message. By any chance, are you planning to use just one Memory Module of 16GB DIMM? Could you please so kind and provide us more details about the memory information that you would like to use? Let me take a look in our labs if there is a possibility to disable this type of message. Please provide us the information requested, and as soon as possible I will get back to you with the next step and the information. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Lopes_Inform-C_Tecno

Hi Emeth,

As we already have the server in production, we intend to use only this DIMM.

The memory model is: KSM24ED8 / 16ME

I'm waiting.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi Paulo, As per population the rules for the S1200SP board: When using one or two memory modules, populate the farthest slot in the channel. On Intel® Server Board S1200SP, the farthest slot in the channels are A2 and B2 with blue connectors. That denotes that you should populate A2 and B2 first, if this is a single stick then A2 (blue) should be used. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit: https://intel.com/support/serverbios
0 Kudos
Lopes_Inform-C_Tecno

Hi Emeth.

Ok.

I will perform a test, after which I will return.

0 Kudos
Lopes_Inform-C_Tecno

Good afternoon,

This test was successful.

Message does not appear after using slot A2 (blue)

Thank you very much for your attention.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel

Hi Paulo,

Thank you so much for the information provided.

Please let me know if you have any other question and I will be more than happy to help you.

If not, let me know in order to proceed with the next step and close this thread.

Have a wonderful day,

Regards,

Emeth O.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit: https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
Lopes_Inform-C_Tecno

Good Morning

It was only this doubt, you can finish the service.

Thank you!

0 Kudos