Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

System Health: Degraded - Intel Entry Storage System SS4200-E

idata
Employee

After initial install the system was running and was operational for a week or so. We transferred about 3GB of data on 4 disk array that are installed in our Storage System SS4200-E.

However, after that amber lights started to flash. I went to the Storage manager and wizard poped up, saying that the System cannot be found. I folowed the steps, setting up IP, username and other prefs just like the first time when I installed the system. From there on it went rebuilding the array.

My first question: I didn't react at the time, but looking back I believe that these steps mean that all my data is lost?

The System never really finished rebuilding. At some point it dropped back to 0% and started from scratch. Now, every time a log in Storage manager there is a warning in the Dashboard that System Health is Degraded:

"Data will be unavailable until the file system has been prepared. The file system preparation is 0% complete."

My second question is, what can I do to get my data back? Should I wait for the System to eventually finish rebuilding, should I pull out the discs and try some recovery methods in a PC or something else?

Some info on the current state:

1. I can ping and access the device in Web Admin only (Storage manager) - I use Intel Entry Storage System on Mac
  2. I haven't pulled out the disc so far
  3. I didn't have any scheduled jobs on the device at any time
  4. I don't have configuration backup
  5. The system is connected to router only, no USB devices attached
  6. This is my first inquiry about the matter to Inter support
  7. Current status of LEDs: 4 lit amber non flashing / at boot there are 4 blue but they turn to amber right away

I realize that my type of discs were not tested by the Intel, but since they are standard 1GB discs I didn't pay attention about that at the time. (taken from ss4200e_thol_14.pdf)

DiskSize Disk 1 (ST31000528AS)931 GB Disk 2 (ST31000528AS)931 GB Disk 3 (ST31000528AS)931 GB Disk 4 (ST31000528AS)931 GB

Data Protection: https://storage.local./stg-diskchg.html Parity External Disks: None Connected, Write Caching:Always on

Descriptive Name: EMC Storage Storage DeviceModel Name: Intel X86Serial Number: 00151731E999Software Version: 1.0.8.29352

Thanks for the answer!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

Answer 1.

The problem could have been caused by the particular model of HDD you have. Unfortunately Intel doesn't have a "List of Drives that Don't work" just a list of drives that do work and your particular model isn't listed (check http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-028561.htm).

answer 2.

i doubt you'll get your data back on this situation. the system seems to be creating a brand new configuration instead of rebuilding the current RAID.

the "The file system preparation" is what the system does when you insert brand new drives on the unit. it formats them, creates new partitions and builds a filesystem. after that it synchronizes the RAID.

Best thing to do to avoid any future problems:

1. use tested drives.

2. connect them to the system and wait for the unit to build the raid.

3. update the software on the unit to 1.1.11.x http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2910&DwnldID=16295&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OS%20Independent&lang=eng

4. once the update is complete, remove the drives, clear the MBR on them and reinsert them. This will cause the unit to build a new raid configuration but with the new firmware already installed.

OJ

0 Kudos