Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Teaming Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port PCI NICs in Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit

idata
Employee

I support a Sun Blade X6270 server, using two http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/storage/storage-networking/042897.html Sun StorageTek SG-XPCIEFCGBE-E8-N Dual 8 Gb FC Dual 1 GbE HBA ExpressModules (in fact these are http://www.emulex.com/products/lightpulse-hbas/sun-branded/sg-xpciefcgbe-e8-z/management.html Emulex LPEM12002E-S HBA/Ethernet cards repackaged and sold by Oracle/Sun. The operating system is Windows 2008 Standard 64-bit with Service Pack 2.

Windows reports 1 GB ethernet ports on these cards as Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port NICs. They are currently using the latest available Intel drivers (version 9.13.41.0 dated 2010-03-26). PROSet version 16.2.49.0 is part of the installed driver. A single port on each PCI card is connected to a port on Cisco switch.

I am trying to team together one Ethernet port from each PCI card for adapter fault tolerance. I can create the team without any problem, but once it is created and IP address is assigned to it (no VLAN), then an interesting problem occurs. I can ping all hosts on the same subnet with the last IP octed being 1-120, but when I try to ping any host above 120, the connection fails. Network support staff informes me that they see a lot of packet being dropped, when the team is active.

The moment I disable one of the team members, even without removing the team, everything works fine and I can ping full range of host IP's on the subnet.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this problem and providing full functionality to the NIC team.

Regards,

Romuald Czajkowski

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

If you leave the members active, but pull one of the two cables - can you ping everyone within the range again?

The fact that pings above 120 fail might be a red herring, or it might be one bit off in a subnet mask - you aren't using 255.255.255.128 anywhere, are you?

What do you see on a 'debug all' on the cisco, when this happens?

0 Kudos