Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

The right choice of server's RAM

Samandar744
Beginner

Hello dear all,

Let me introduce myself,

And recently I faced the problem with the choice of RAM for rack mount Server.

For example, I need 512GB of memory on the server. Which RAM memory (16GB, 32GB, 64GB...) and in what quantity will it be more correct to get the required volume (512GB) ?

I ask you to help with this case, and give explanation of correct choice.

Thank all in advance

Best regards,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Samandar744,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We have edited your post to delete personal information.

Could you please let us know the model of the Intel® Server? so we can look for the set up options and better assist you.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Samandar744
Beginner

Hello @AdrianM_Intel 

This is a theoretical question. I work for a system integrator. And I want to understand how to process these requests, given different servers and memory sizes

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Samandar744,

Thank you for your response.

It’s worth mentioning that the answer will vary depending on the model of the server, this is because there are motherboards that are capable to handle single or dual processor and the amount of DIMMs will vary depending on the model, as an example: Intel® Server Board S2600WF Family, this Intel® Server Board supports up to 24 DDR4 DIMMs and it’s capable to handle 2 processors so if you choose 16GB to get the total amount of 512GB then you will need 32 sticks of RAM and the board only has 24 slots also, depending on the manufacturer it might support sticks of 16GB/32GB/64GB, etc.

If you choose 32GB sticks to get the amount of 512GB then you will need 16 slots to get it.

It’s important to mention that on a motherboard that supports dual processor some channel slots are linked to CPU#2 so if there is no CPU#2 detected some of the ports can’t be used example:

The motherboard has different channels: Channel A, B, C, D so in this case, it will be 3 slots per channel this means that CPU#1 will handle the following slots: A1, A2, A3. B1, B2, B3. C1,C2, C3, D1, D2, D3 a total of 12 slots so the half of the DIMMs will be handled by CPU#1 so back to the example of the 32GB then you will need a CPU#2 to handle the channels E, F, G, H and their respective DIMM slots (E1, F1, G1, H1) which will be needed to get the max amount of 512GB.

If you choose 64GB then you will need 8 sticks of RAM that can be handled by the CPU#1 so this will depend on the hardware being used with that being said the answer can be different based on the manufacturer specifications.

For best system performance in dual processor configurations, installed DIMM type and populations for DIMM configured to CPU2 must match DIMM type and population configured to CPU1.

If you can provide us a specific hardware then we can try to look for a specific answer to this question but we used that Intel® Server Board as a general example.

For more details you might check Intel® Server Board S2600WF Product Family Technical Product Specification.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Samandar744
Beginner

Hello,

Well, the link is really useful, thanks)

And what about if we consider a specific example as you asked

For example we have HPE DL380 Gen10 8SFF Server with 2xIntel Xeon Gold 5218

What will be the right decision for RAM 512 GB ?

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Samandar744,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hi Samandar744,

Thank you for your response.

It’s worth mentioning that this is a third party system so depending on the manufacturer the configuration can be so different so our recommendation is to contact HP support and ask them for the best memory set up on the HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos