Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Transfer Windows from HDD to RAID

idata
Employee

Hi !

I have a server with S5000PSL motherboard. On this server it was a 80 GB HDD, which contains the Windows 2008 OS. Now I added 2 1TB HDDs which I had included these in a RAID 1 massive. Can I transfer the Windows from HDD on that RAID massive ?

8 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Not usually. Windows is very particular about what kind of drive controller it is installed on.

Is the 80GB attached to the same controller that the 1TB RAID is on?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dan_O, the motherboard has 1 SATA controller and the HDDs are SATA type. I think that they use the same controller or don't ?

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

The PSL does support 1TB drives plugged in to the onboard controller, so you should be okay.

Just make sure you choose drives that are on the tested list at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022650.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-022650.htm

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Dan_O !

I checked my HDDs with Intel tested list and they are not corresponding . So the problem can be in the HDDs type ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I trying to do the transfer in this way: I backed up the first system, I created the RAID, I installed the original Windows Server 2008 R2 on the RAID and then I recovered the backed up before system on this system. Now when I trying to start this renew system it booting but not to finish. I trying to start in Safe Mode and it start some drivers but at a moment it reboots it self automatically. I trying to enable logging boot but the "ntbtlog.txt" file didn't created ! In Command Prompt from "Repair Menu" I trying to start "sfc /scannow" but it says me the system is in repair mode and I should to restart Windows and to run sfc. I restarted the system but it gives me the same window to start Windows in repair mode.

Please give me any indications to start this Windows system !

Thanks in advanced !

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Reboot and hit F8 to bring up the Windows startup menu. Do you have an option to disable the automatic restart?

If so, then you should be able to see which driver it's rebooting on.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I rebooted the system in F8 menu I've disabled the automatic restart option after that Windows shows the blue image (BSOD) with a message like this "WIndows cannot start, to preventing to damage your system. Run chkdsk /f to check your drive, bla-bla-bla". I rebooted in repair mode and I tested the drive with "chkdsk /f /r", but the the situation didn't changing. I rebooted in "Safe Mode" and the system loads a set of system files and drives until the "%winroot\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys" when the system trying to load this driver a few time and automatically restarts.

Can be problem in this driver? Any idea ?

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

That driver name didn't ring any bells, so I did a Google search. It looks like that is a fairly common controller the chipset uses for the hard drives; which fits in with why changing from RAID to AHCI or something might make Windows unhappy.

I checked several of the google threads, but didn't find any with a solution other than "reinstall clean", which doesn't help much.

0 Kudos