Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Unable to enable SSD Cache on multiple VDs AXXRPFKSSD2 with RMS3CC080 - when latest FW loaded

RMadd1
Novice

Hi,

We're getting errors when a setting up SSD Cache on single and multiple VDs with the RMS3CC080 Raid cards (we have tried 2 new raid cards both have the below problems).

The problem only seems to exist with the latest firmware (v24.16.0-0082), previous FW: (24.15.0-0023) seems to works fine.

You can create the SSD Cache VD fine, it's when you go to 'enable' the SSD Cache on one or more VDs when it either simply wont enable OR you get the below error: 

When you upgrade to the latest FW v24.16 with SSD config already assigned to multiple VDs, then it seems to work OK, but when you clear configuration and try to start from scratch, the errors start again.

Can I ask Intel is this a problem Intel is aware of and will it be fixed in the next FW release?

For now we're running with the previous FW rev. 24.15.0-0023, but the customer may upgrade later without our knowledge...

Thanks for your help.

Rob.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RMadd1
Novice

Just to update in-case anyone else has this issue.

Intel has fixed the problem - just update to the the latest fw (24.21.0-0012) released 28th August 2017.

cheers!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Robert_M,

Thank you for contacting Intel technical support.

I understand that you are getting errors when setting up SSD Cache on single and multiple VDs with the RMS3CC080 Raid card, and the problem only seems to exist with the latest firmware (v24.16.0-0082), previous FW: (24.15.0-0023) seems to work fine.Be aware that Intel recommends to loading Factory Default setting after the firmware upgrade which will not affect data on any existing array. To do so:1. Reboot the system and login to the RAID BIOS Console.

2. Select the controller and select 'Adapter Properties'->'Next'

3. Set the 'Set Factory Defaults' setting to 'Yes' and submit the change.

4. Reboot the system (the default settings are applied).

5. Re-configure to the desired settings in RAID Web Console2.

Please confirm if you already tried this and let me know your results.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
RMadd1
Novice

hi thanks for the response,

yes i have set factory defaults after flashing the firmware .

the problem still remains ,

i am trying to set up the ssd caching in the raid bios (not the raid web console)

this is a brand new server and no data is on the hard drives at all.

i have tried 2 new raid cards and they both have the same problem.

thanks

rob.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert_M,

Thank you for your quick response.

Seems the issue occurs with two different Raid Controllers, the problem points to the AXXRPFKSSD2 cache. I will go ahead and investigate about this, seems the RAID controller you are using is compatible with the AXXRPFKSSD2. I will appreciate if you can please indicate the sever board you are running it.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support

0 Kudos
RMadd1
Novice

We are using an intel server platform R2308WTTYSR

(serverboard S2600WTTR)

the problems only seems to exist with the latest RAiD firmware leading me to believe there is an issue with this .

thanks once again,

Rob

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your quick response, and information.

Ok, let me direct my research towards the new RAID firmware and the AXXRPFKSSD2 cache. I will get back to you as soon as possible with information.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.

Intel Technical Support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert,

I hope you are doing well today.

I just want let you know that we are running a lab in order to recreate this issue. As soon as we have the results we let you know.

Regards,

Jeremiah A.
0 Kudos
RMadd1
Novice

Just to update in-case anyone else has this issue.

Intel has fixed the problem - just update to the the latest fw (24.21.0-0012) released 28th August 2017.

cheers!

idata
Employee

Hello Robert_M ,

Thank you for sharing your findings. We are glad to hear the solution was provided on the latest firmware (24.21.0-0012) released 28th August 2017.

We hope this helps other users in the Intel Communities.

Best regards,

Caesar B_Intel.