Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Unable to install Windows Server 2008 R2 on S1200BTL and RS2BL040

idata
Employee

I can not install Windows Server 2008 R2 on how to use UEFI GPT formatting. Everything works properly duringthe first phase of the installation (and then creates the "Windows Boot Manager" in the BIOS) but after the actual installation of the OS, during which indeed the message "Unable to install windows in the partition disk0-xx-details "which still continues to the end, the system can not boot from the RAID controller. If not using the system UEFI everything is going well, but I can not use the GPT partition type .... Does anyone have my ownproblems? Better still knows some solution?

My system: S1200BTL, controller RAID RS2BL040, 16GB RAM. I use Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (but i have try with 2008 R2 without SP1).

Io sospetto un problema di allocazione di memoria del BIOS del controller RS2BL040 poichè il controller stesso non viene rilevato con il comando "devices" in EFI-mode....

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Did you follow the setup in the white paper at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031158.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-031158.htm? It doesn't mention 2008 specifically, but I think the same steps should work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I heard current BIOS of S1200BT has some issue with UEFI boot. The workaround is to create a small VD (like 200GB) and make it a MBR disk for OS installation. Then create a second VD and make it a GPR disk for data storage. Is that OK for you?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In my situation this is not a good solution, unfortunately ..... Please, INTEL, make right changes to BIOS of S1200BT to resolve UEFI issues (and not only). The S1200BT system are good and cheap system but ...... not working perfectly.... for now I hope

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Just curious, why this workaround is not good for you? Is there any specific reason you need to boot from a GPT disk? Normally the best practice is to seperate large data storage from OS disk...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In my case it is not a good solution because the server in question has to do 2 jobs: 1) the host server to virtual server 2 (hyper-v) 2) physical servers that can not be virtualized applications that do not know in advance the need in terms of disk capacity. The division of the raid in 2 separate partitions would create unnecessary complications.

PS: Small sophism: GPT partitioning makes faster data access.

0 Kudos
EWell
Beginner

I'm also having an identical issue. I've got the same server system (an S1200BT board inside a R1304BTLSHBN server system) and am using the RS2BL040 RAID controller also. I have four 2TB drives in a RAID 5 array that I want to install Windows on, using a GPT partitioning scheme. If I enable EFI optimized boot in the BIOS, all the RAID related boot entries disappear from the BIOS boot list, so I can't select to boot from the RAID controller. It also prevents me from accessing the RAID BIOS, even though it does display the prompt. You can hit Ctrl+G, and it even changes to indicate that you'll enter the RAID BIOS after POST completes, but never actually takes you to the RAID BIOS. The only way I've found to get back to it is by disabling EFI optimized boot, saving changes, rebooting, and then going into the RAID BIOS.

If I set up the RAID array, enable EFI optimized boot, and install Windows on a GPT disk, it warns me:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the BIOS menu."

If you ignore the warning and proceed anyway, it copies files to disk and adds the "Windows Boot Manager" to the EFI boot list, but when it actually reboots, it doesn't try to boot from the array. I've checked the RAID BIOS to make sure the Controller BIOS is enabled, made sure the virtual disk is set as the boot option, but still no luck. The only available options in the BIOS boot menu once EFI is enabled are "UEFI: DVD Drive", "EFI Shell", and "Windows Boot Manager". The DVD option launches the GPT-aware Windows install, the EFI shell takes me to the EFI shell, and the Windows Boot Manager does nothing, either leaving you with a blinking white cursor for eternity, or continuing down the boot list, typically dropping you in the EFI shell again.

Has anyone had any luck getting EFI ant GPT working on any of these server boards and RAID controllers? It sure sounds like a promising technology, but only if it actually *works*.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The response of "Official Support Team" of Intel (IPI Program) says that S1200BTL not support RS2BL040....

For my opinion this fact are negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

This is not true. RS2BL040 is supported on S1200BTL. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032418.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-032418.htm. What's not supported currently is booting from a GPT VD thru UEFI on S1200BTL.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos