Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Unknown S2600STBR server board error code

Canno
New Contributor I

I have an Intel S2600STBR server board with an Intel Xeon Gold 6258R CPU in slot 1 (slot 2 empty)

and 4x64GB Crucial RAM that says it works with the motherboard as follows:

DDR4 LRDIMM 64GB 4Rx4 2933 CL21 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G9J2

I originally set this up in a Fractal Meshify case and a high quality 750W PSU, but it gave the unknown error mentioned below.

Thus I - wrongly - assuming it may be the Case+PSU, and replaced the case with a new Intel P4304XXMUXX case, since I already have a dual CPU server with one of these, and thus bought a second case for this new server - and already had an unused Intel 1600W PSU for the case.

When I apply power to the Intel PSU, the system goes through the BMC process successfully ... various flashes, blue+green for 10-20s, both off, then only green.

When I press the case front button it goes through a short process, with no video, that leads to:

POST leds: 4 orange lights constantly flashing and 2 of the 4 green lights on.

Using the manual page 12.2 System LEDs - green left to right is off, on, off, on = 5

I'm not at all sure what the error code with orange flashing means, especially since it's after the initial power on BME success.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Canno
New Contributor I

Alas, it would appear that the error means that the S2600STBR original BIOS/Firmware does NOT support the Gold 6258R even though it is stated that it does.

You need to plug in some other 1st gen, or not sure what other 2nd gen CPU, and upgrade the firmware first.

It works fine now after doing this - lucky I had a spare expensive CPU available that's required to fix the board ... Intel really should ship these boards working. Sigh.

As stated the board did come with the 02.01.0008 version of the firmware installed as expected of a S2600STBR.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Canno,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

Based on the information provided, I understand that after AC power is applied to the system for the first time, the BMC boot process completes with no errors, and the status LED changes to solid green.

Regarding the Post Code Diagnostic LEDs, could you please provide additional details based on the following resources?

In addition, please let me know if this is a Data Center Block Integrated System.

Wanner G.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Canno
New Contributor I

Yes that's the number I mentioned - 5 green.

Alas nowhere in the documentation can I find anything that says 'All 4 Orange lights blinking' and 'Green lights 5' - that web tool doesn't give that option either.

There's also another light on the back left of the motherboard, constantly blinking, that's not listed in the manual as far as I can find.

Anyway, I've now given up trying to work out what the lights mean, and taken one of the two Gold6148s and it's 32GBx8 out of the main server, and put that in the new server motherboard just to see if it works. The main server can run on half power while I try and sort this new one out.

The Gold6148 setup does work, so I'm now stuck with the rather long process of running 4 consecutive updates to all the server board code to get it up to current - I do wonder why for me, these boards have both come with the oldest possible, problematic BIOS in them needing extended updates.

Once that's done, I'll try the 6258R again with it's 4x64GB, and hopefully find it was just a BIOS problem again.

I have checked to be sure it is indeed an S2600STBR and the shop didn't give me an old non-R version It's also got the oldest STBR bios 02.01.0008 that I'm working on updating

I'll post once again, once it's all done and either succeeded, or failed with the new CPU

0 Kudos
Canno
New Contributor I

Alas, it would appear that the error means that the S2600STBR original BIOS/Firmware does NOT support the Gold 6258R even though it is stated that it does.

You need to plug in some other 1st gen, or not sure what other 2nd gen CPU, and upgrade the firmware first.

It works fine now after doing this - lucky I had a spare expensive CPU available that's required to fix the board ... Intel really should ship these boards working. Sigh.

As stated the board did come with the 02.01.0008 version of the firmware installed as expected of a S2600STBR.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Canno,

I am glad to know that the problem was resolved after updating the BIOS/firmware of the Intel® Server Board.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the BIOS/firmware these Intel® Server Boards come with and the supported Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors. It is highly appreciated.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos