Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Updating AXX6DRV3GEXP and AXX4DRV3GEXP

idata
Employee

Hi community!

I have big problems to bring the firmware of my backplanes up to the actual version. What components do i have?

- S5000PSL in SC5400BRP with AXX6DRV3GEXP and AXX4DRV3GEXP

- S3210SHLC in SC5299-DP with AXX6DRV3GEXP

Because both servers are loosing there disks from time to time if searched a lot in the web and found out that the firmware of the backplanes have well known problems with sata disks on old versions. I have only sata disks and firmware 2.02 on the backplanes so i think i would be the best to update them to the latest version 2.12 but i don´t no how to do it.

As written in the readme i removed the raid controllers and just attached an single disc with ms dos and the update files on it. Than i try tried to use the batch files to update them but on the S5000 the actual firmware revision is shown but the update fails, on the S3210 it looks like the the backplane isn´t found.

When i try to use the EFI update it also doesn´t work, also a manual load of the ipmi.efi doesn´t want to work.

Whats the correct way to update my backplanes so the disks won´t be lost any longer? It´s not a big problem to connect the backplane from my S3210 temporarily to the S5000, so some tips how to realize it on the S5000 would be enough and extremly useful.

Best regards from rainy germany

Norbert

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Have you properly connected the IPMB cable? Check the http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-025354.htm RAID Controller cabling guide for details.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Edward!

As written in the update manuel i even removed the controller from the server so the backplanes are only connected to power and the IPMI cabel - the 6 drive bp as primary, the 4 drive bp as secondary. Because i wasn´t sure if everything was wired coorectly i also reflashed FRU and SDR, also everything fine, the update detected both backplanes, so the cabeling should be fine.

Do you have any idea?

Norbert

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Norbert,

I'd like to check if you downloaded the corredt firmware:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17719&lang=eng 6 Drive Bay Hot Swap Expander Controller Firmwarehttp://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2414&DwnldID=17720&lang=eng 4 Drive Bay Expander Hot Swap Controller Firmware

EFI update won't work on S5000PSL because it required UEFI 2.0 environment which is only available on later 5500/5200 series boards.

Boot to DOS, run 6BPE_PRI.bat and 4BPE_SEC.bat to update your both backplanes. If you still encounter any error, please post the exact error message here.

Regards,

Edward

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Edward!

Still the same problems... I´ve already removed the secondary 4 drive backplane from HSPB_B, but still no change.

Attached you can find a screenshot from the messages i receive and also the error log.

Do you have any idea?

Norbert

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

It seems you're using RMM2 on your system, and it may cause HSC update failure... Either temperarily remove the RMM2 and update HSC, or check the steps in http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-028684.htm TA892: Intel® Remote Management Module 2 firmware may impact hot swap controller update to temprarily disable the communication between RMM2 and BMC.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Edward!

That´s it! Because i had not realy much time to fix the problem i just removed the RMM and than i was able to flush the backplanes attached tu HSPB_A. Why ever, HSPB_B didn´t want to work, so i connect the 4 drive backplane temporarily to HSBP_A and than the updated also worked.

To get the backplane of my SC5299 with Snowhill board also up2date i just connected the backplane for the update to the S5000PSL board. But what about upcoming updates? Will we still have to connect than the bp to an supported board or will there come a flash support for the snowhills?

Norbert

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I haven't got time to test update HSC on S3200SH, but supposely it should work. Which onboard header did you connect the IPMB cable? Should be connected to the HSBP header, not the IPMB header.

Again please check the cable connection and run the DOS update utility. If still seeing error please post the exact error message here.

0 Kudos
MCaus
Beginner

I want to update these same enclosures from 2.05 to 2.16 in an SC5400BRP chassis with an S5000PSL mainboard. There are downloads for these enclosures at the support site for the SC5400BRP chassis, but the EFI scripts do not work with the S5000PSL board. I understand I need to boot to DOS and run a batch file. Where would I find the update for DOS? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos