Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4783 Discussions

Using SAS HDD on S5500BC

KevinK
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using Intel Server Board S5500BC, because of having trouble with my old SATA HDD 500GB, maybe too many bad sectors, so I purchased brand new SAS HDD 2TB.

I'm facing another problem, since old HDD is SATA type, then I use SATA to SAS converter cable, but when I try to install Windows Server, none HDD is detected.

Is it possible to use SAS HDD 2TB on Intel Server Board S5500BC?

Can this  problem be solved using driver for SAS HDD?

Best Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
8 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hi @KevinK ,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.
It shouldn't compatible to install SAS HDD 2TB to Intel Server Board S5500BC's sata.
You may refer to this specification and datasheet from this link:
Link:https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/36601/intel-server-board-s5500bc/specifications.html

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. Thank you.

Regards,
BY_Intel
Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @KevinK ,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

In case we do not hear from you, I will make a follow up on May 24th 2023 . Thank you.

Regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KevinK
Beginner

Hi Intel CS,

Thanks for your reply and the link that refer to the specification and datasheet.

Can I use PCIX to SAS Controller Card to make it work?

Is there any certain brands of Controller Card had been tested by Intel?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @KevinK ,

Thank you for your patience.

I don't think using PCIX to SAS Controller Card will make it work, since I believe your server board may not have SAS module enable.

You may refer to the list of compatible controller from Compatible Products tab at the given url:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/36601/intel-server-board-s5500bc/specifications.html

Regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KevinK
Beginner

Hi Intel CS,

Thanks for your reply and the link that refer to the list of compatible controller cards.

Regarding from the list given above, mostly had been discontinued, so I searched other brands. After trying several products, finally I got the best matching RAID controller card from Dell, PERC H310, and it works very well.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Kevin

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @KevinK ,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

In case we do not hear from you, I will make a follow up on May 31st 2023 . Thank you.

Regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @KevinK ,

We glad it is working now. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @KevinK ,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since you have found the solution. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos