Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

VMWare vSAN RAID Adapter Firmware Compatibility Issue

Ks0001
Beginner

Hello,

We've got RS3UC080J.

As you can see from vmware vmware HCL, with 6.7 we can use this adapter with 15 and 13 fw, but in 6.7 U1 it is only supported with FW version 13.00.00.00. It is clear that if you wanted to update your software to the latest version you have to downgrade HBA firmware.

However if you decided to downgrade, you would not be able, because this fw version is not available for download on Intel support portal.

At this point I cannot update nor i can downgrade firmware. and this is frustrating.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for contacting us about this concern. Please try with the following link and let us know if the firmware provided is the one that you are looking for; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27980/Intel-12Gb-SAS3-IT-IR-Firmware?product=97264 Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Ks0001
Beginner

Hello Emeth,

Thank you for attention to my issue.

Unfortunately this is not what I am looking for,

You gave a link to 15.00.01.00 fw, and it is not supported with latest VSAN release. It is also not sopported for any previous All-flash releases.

I need version 13.00.00.00, because it supported for all-flash deployments and the only one supported for vsan 6.7.1.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for the information provided. I was doing some research about the information that you are looking for and I found the following link directly form vmware web site: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php deviceCategory=vsanio&productid=41442&vsanrncomp=true&vcl=true I noticed they have different firmware versions such as .13 and .15 for the following Vmware OS versions: ESXi 6.7 U1 (vSAN 6.7.1) and ESXi 6.7 (vSAN 6.7). Could you please so kind and make sure the information and let us know the outcome in order to clarify those details and proceed with the next step. I will be waiting your outcome, if you have any other question please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Ks0001
Beginner

Hello,

This is the same link I provided in first post.

If you look close, you will notice that for os version ESXi 6.7 (vSAN 6.7) accepted firmwares are both 13 and 15.

But for ESXi 6.7 U1 (vSAN 6.7.1) only 13 is accepted.

Another concern is all-flash feature which is supported only with fw version 13 on any OS.

The problem is I cannot find the firware version 13 on the Intel download portal, only 15 and 12 are available.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, No problem, let me double check this information in order to find the best solution and the most accurate information for you. As soon as possible I will get back to you with the next step. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I already double check the information and we are providing only those two firmware versions available on our website. If vmware has a different firmware version, my recommendation will be to contact them in order to verify those details. Please if you have any other question, do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you with. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Ks0001
Beginner

Hello Emeth,

I've already contacted vmware support. I was told that I have to follow HCL requirements, which are very strict for VSAN deployments.

My adapters are on 15 fw, and I cannot downgrade because there is no 13 version available.

And now with new version of ESXi released it appears that I cannot use my adapters anymore.

BTW, vmware HCL is ment to be kept up-to-date by hardware vendors.

It is responsibility of Intel to contact vmware and request HCL update.

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Kirill s, We appreciate your patience. We will follow up with your inquiry as soon as possible. Best regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Kirill s, If you go to https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=38830 you may be able to see release ESXi 6.7 U1, device driver lsi-msgpt3 version 16.00.00.00-1OEM for firmware version 15.00.01.00. Please let us know if that is what you are looking for. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Ks0001
Beginner

Franklin,

Unfortunately this is not what we are looking for.

You provided link to a general IO-device compatibility list.

For vSAN deployment we have to follow vSAN compatibility guide which is different from general IO-devices compatibility guide.

You can find vSAN compatibility guide by proceeding to this link:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vsanio&details=1&vsan_type=vsanio&keyword=RS3UC080J&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Kirill s, We are sorry that the information provided on last communication was not useful. We will further investigate to see if we can provide you a better answer and get back with you as soon as possible. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Kirill s, We regret to inform you that currently we do not have information on future updates for ESXi than what is posted as compatible. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos