Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

W2600CR - no video + POST beep

DDrei2
Beginner

Hey everybody,

I desperately need qualified help. I recently tried to assemble a budget workstation on the basis of the Intel W2600CR mainboard with 2x Xeon E5-2670 cpus.

But I am not able to get the workstation to boot correctly, because I dont get any video using a PCIe card and furthermore get the POST error beepcode 1beep + 3 short beeps.

Most of the parts are used.

Specs:

Mainboard: Intel W2600CR (PBA: G21602-302, BIOS-Version: unknown)

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 (v1) + 2x Noctua NH-U12DX i4

GPU: GTX780 DirectCU II (I tried to exchange it with an GTX 660Ti but the result was the same)

Memory: 4x8gb DDR3 Hynix 1600Mhz RegECC (HMT41GR7AFRA4A - PB - should be compatible)

PSU: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/alles-ueber/corsair-company-page.html Corsair 860AX

Tower: Nanoxia DeepSilence 6 rev.b

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500gb via SATA

HDD: 3x WD Red 3TB via SAS

Error:

- monitor display stays black

- POST-Error Code: 1 Beep + 3 short Beep (USB-keyboard attached the code changes to beep + beep + 3 short beeps)

Since I cant really tell what BIOS is running I am not sure how to interpret that code. The manual points toward an error concerning the memory, other sources talk about a video error or inability to detect a monitor.

- Although all fans start spinning and the drives start to run I get no videosignal. The POST seems to run through smoothly afterwards, though. Only the 5V-Standby-LED and Status-LED stay green and I can restart the computer with STRG-ALT-DEL.

- When I start the computer without any memory inserted, you can hear the expected and normal error code of 3 long beeps.

Troubleshooting attemps:

- switched the monitor

- switched the graphics card

- removed everything from the chassis and rebuild it externally

- checked the wiring

- tested every single memory module

- booted with only CPU and memory installed

- reseated the CPUs and checked the pins

- resetted BIOS using the jumper

- removed and reinserted the CMOS battery

- tested every single PCIe slot

I read that some BIOS versions forcefully try to use the onboard GPU and dont switch to the PCIe cards automatically, but I cant test that because I have got no VGA cable that fits the internal VGA header.

And since I am based in Germany I couldnt find an appropiate cable anywhere. Due to this idea I tried to flash the BIOS blindly using a troubleshooting guide from another thread. Although the BIOS-Recovery initialized, it was super slow and after like 5 minutes started to loop. I had to interrupt the power supply, removed the USB-stick and restarted the system. And the same above mentioned error occured again.

Hopefully someone can give me a hint what I am missing, what component most likely is damaged or if I can still try a different approach.

Best regards,

David

**Update: I attached a video of the POST code diagnostic LEDs.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi k0jiro,

There is no video on the external graphics card, using the Intel® Workstation Board W2600CR and Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2670 v2.

It is first integration, before using the external graphics card, we need to change the video settings in the BIOS of the board. We have to get a standard VGA video cable from any PC store near your home or online store.

I am sending you our page http://locate.intel.com/ locate.intel.com, this link brings all the authorized retailers worldwide.

Regards,

Miguel C.
0 Kudos
DDrei2
Beginner

Hey Miguel,

first of all thanks for the fast reply.

If that really is the solution I am relieved.

BUT since I dont have the approriate P4303 chassis I dont have the VGA port extension. The sister mainboard S2600IP has itself a normal VGA port at the back. But on my W2600cr I am stuck with this video connector (picture attached).

Furthermore the pinout in the manual doesnt seem to fit the real connector on the board. (13 pin vs 16 pin)

Could you tell the product number of the approriate intel vga cable/ vga port extension?

Does this fit? SKU: FXXSCVDCBL

Best regards again,

David

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi k0jiro,

There is no video on the external graphics card, using the Intel® Workstation Board W2600CR and Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2670 v2.

I suggest you buy the "Chassis Maintenance Kit for P4000L/P4000L-WS FUPLESK", this kit includes the cable and it is available on eBay. More details: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/520836_configuration_guide_crown__gold_rev1_9final.pdf Intel®WorkstationBoard W2600CR2 Spares/AccessoriesList and Configuration Guide, page 10

I double checked our inventory but it is already out of stock. Additionally, you can try with our resellers at locate.intel.com.

According to the specifications of the product code FXXSCVDCBL, it is a video header of 14 pins; however, it was built for the Intel® Workstation Board S5520SC family, so it is not possible to confirm that it will work on your computer. More details on http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s5520sc/sb/e39530010_s5520sc_tps_r1_7.pdf Intel®

Workstation Board S5520SC technical product specification section 6.7 Onboard Video Header, page 114 – 115.

I hope my suggestion, resolves your issue.

Regards,

Miguel C.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi k0jiro,

I am following your case, please tell me if you need additional support.

Regards,

Miguel C.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi k0jiro,

I was wondering if you have any additional question about video output; feel free to post again if you need anything else.

Regards,

Miguel C.
0 Kudos