Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

What is the fastest processors for database applications?

CKoze
Beginner

I use ACTIAN PSQL databases with Windows Server and design my own servers with Supermicro Superserver line of products.

I wanted to know for a set budget of about $400-$600, what is the best processor I should select to get the fastest performance.

Should I look for 2 less expensive vs one more expensive processor? One with a greater number of cores? Fast GHz speed?

How do I select the appropriate processor for a given budget?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello CKoze, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. When building a brand new system using Intel® Processors, you can compare them using the Product Specification page. https://ark.intel.com/ 1.Go to Product Specification page (ARK). 2.Type the first processor number in the Search Specification box. 3.Click Add to Compare. 4.Type the second processor number in the Search Specification box (You can add multiple processors this way, up to 8). 5.Click Add to Compare. 6.View the comparison list by clicking the blue Compare box that should show the numbers of the processors to be compared. 7.To clear the comparison, simply close the Compare box, or click Clear queue in the comparison page. 8.You can also export the list of comparison by clicking Export Comparison, which saves the information into a spreadsheet. You can also compare processors in the same collection by clicking on the compare box located on the right side. Now, since you design your own servers, we would like to know if you are looking for more information about Intel® Xeon® Processors. Please let us know if you have a Supermicro product in mind, too. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello CKoze, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CKoze
Beginner

Dear Wanner,

Thank you for your reply but I am still uncertain about the right processors to choose for my database application. For a given budget, I wish to know what I should spend my money on: threads, cache, clock speed or cores. I am building my servers with Supermicro plateform. For faster results, I use 2 X M.2 enterprise drives + 2 X SATA3 SSDs. The comparison is nice but still does not answer my question.

Thank you for your support.

Christopher

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello CKoze, To better assist you, we will forward this inquiry to the proper Community. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello Ckoze, Thank you so much for contacting us about this concern. My best recommendation for you will be the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1270 v6. It has 4 Cores and 8 Threads; the price of this processor is about: $328.00 - $339.00. If you would like to check more information about this please check the following link: https://ark.intel.com/products/97479/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1270-v6-8M-Cache-3_80-GHz. If you have any other question please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to know if you have any other question in order to assist you with. If so, please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, I would like to inform you that due to the fact that I have not seen any activity on this thread. I am going to proceed and close this thread, if you have any other question please do not hesitate and contact us back and we will be more than happy to assist you. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos