Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Windows 10 on S2600CP can't restart

RexCheng
Beginner

Hello,

I installed Windows 10 on S2600CP, and updated the drivers from the Windows device manger. And also run intel_chipset_win_10.1.17903.8106_PV.

However every time W10 can't restart from the Windows start menu, the rebooting always hang at W10 logo and blue points.

Then can S2600CP work with W10? What else need configuring?

Any helps will be appreciated.

System info:

SystemName     TeW10-A

AssetTag       ....................

BIOSVersion    SE5C600.86B.01.08.0003

GUID           4DCD31...

Manufacturer   Intel Corporation

PlatFormID     S2600CP

SDRVersion     SDR Package 1.08

BMCVersion     1.17.4151

HSCVersion     HSC_NOT_PRESENT

SerialNumber   QSCP43...

OSName         Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OSVersion      10.0.16299

OSBuild        16299

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support. I understand that after installing Windows 10 and all drivers on an Intel(R) Server 2600CP, it would not complete the restart process. In an effort to better assist you, can you please confirm the following: - How much memory RAM are using with this server system and Windows 10. - Is this Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit? - Do you know if the issue also happened before installing drivers? - Have you tried to restart and go into safe mode instead? If you have any question, please let me know. Looking forward to your comments. Regards, Jeremiah A. Under contract to Intel
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for your reply.

For your questions: 8G RAM, 64-bit W10, Same - Can't restart before install driver, can't enter safe mode from start menu.

My questions: does S2600CP support W10? Where to get all the required driver for W10?

Best regards,

Rex

0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Jeremiah,

I tried several things:

- upgrade to BIOS02060006, no luck, same result.

- change EFI Optimized Boot from "Disabled" to "Enabled". I can NOT enter BIOS menu anymore. Every time there are six long and three short beeps when bring up. And Windows 10 also can't restart.

Seems got worse. Please give a hand.

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, Thank you for your update. In regards to you questions: does S2600CP support W10? Where to get all the required driver for W10? According to this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/61088/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP-Family, Windows 10 64-bit is supported. The chipset driver supported for Windows 10 can be downloaded from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28531/Intel-Server-Chipset-Driver-for-Windows- As per the issue with the Server Board not been able to boot into BIOS, my recommendation is to clear the CMOS. You can do that by completing the below action plan: Power off the system. Open up the system so you can see the motherboard. Locate the CMOS jumper by referring to the motherboard manual and how to clear the CMOS. In general, the CMOS jumper is three pins located near the battery. The Jumper name is J1D2. In general, CMOS jumper has positions 1–2 and 2–3. Move the jumper from the default position 1–2 to position 2–3 to clear CMOS. Wait 1–5 minutes then move it back to the default position. Power on the system. In some systems, you might need to enter BIOS to reset to the factory defaults. If that doesn't work, you can try removing the battery: Turn off all peripheral devices connected to the computer. Disconnect the power cord from the AC power source. Remove the computer cover. Find the battery on the board. The battery may be in a horizontal or vertical battery holder, or connected to an onboard header with a wire. Remove the battery: If the battery is in a holder, note the orientation of the + and – on the battery. Gently pry the battery free from its connector. If the battery is connected to an onboard header with a wire, disconnect the wire from the onboard header. Wait 1–5 minutes, then reconnect the battery. Put the computer cover back on. Plug the computer and all devices back in. Once you get back the server running, I suggest reinstalling the Windows 10 and make sure you can restart the system and access the safe mode before installing the drivers. Once this is done, you try installing the drivers one by one to discard which driver affects the OS installation. If you have any question or concern please let me know. Regards, Jeremiah A, Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Jeremiah,

After clear CMOS, I can enter BIOS menu, then set the values. Same result, W10 can't restart.

The W10 is rather clean, and I reset yesterday. However I am resetting again. Will let you know the result before install Intel drivers.

Beside BIOS settting, are there any other provisions for W10? Any Windows application can change BIOS setting directly?

I tried another W7 harddisk on same S2600CP, it can reboot as wanted. Seems something special to W10.

Thanks,

Rex

0 Kudos
Jeremias_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Rex, I'm glad to know that you were able to access the BIOS again. In regards to your questions: Beside BIOS settings, are there any other provisions for W10? Any Windows application can change BIOS setting directly? No windows settings should be able to change the BIOS settings directly. Is it possible to test the Server with Windows Server 2016 Data Canter? This one has a similar configuration to Windows 10. According to the download Center, the Server Board 2600CP should support Windows 10. Which version is 2600CP are you using, so I can run a deeper check based on the version you are using. If you have more questions, please let me know. Regards, Jeremiah A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Jeremiah,

Still no luck. During W10 reset and after the reset, the reboot never works.

Every time after restart, on the front panel, NIC LED 1 is green, status LED is amber on, and both HDD LED and Power LED are off.

Another hint is there are three short beeps before BIOS menus.

As for the S2600CP board, the part number is E99552-511, and S/N is QSCP43502067.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best regards,

Rex

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, Have you by chance checked Windows' event viewer for any errors that could be related to your issue? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, Have you also tried with different RAM memory? Based on a previous comment that you made about the board throwing some beeps it is possible that you may be experiencing RAM issues. Can you check those RAM memories with a tool such as Memtest86+? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Franklin,

Thank you for the information. I will find the tools Memtest86+. In fact, I didn't find any valuable info in Windows Event Viewer.

Could you please help on another questions? I run SetupChipset.exe in intel_chipset_win_10.1.17903.8106_PV, but found some intel drivers, e.g. Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor E5 Product Family/Core i7 DMA Channel 1, were not installed. So I have to use Windows Device Manager to upgrade one by one. Where can I find the drivers installation exe and run once to install all? I still concern incorrect drivers caused the issue.

Thanks,

Rex

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, You could also use Intel Driver Support Assistant https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant To automatically detect upgradable and missing drivers. In addition to that, you could use Intel’s System Information Retrieval Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26991/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo- to obtain hardware logs from your server. Use section 2.1 on how to run the utility from EFI. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Franklin,

I have tried Driver Support Assistant. It doesn't work for Intel Server Drivers, then no help here.

From Sysinfo log, there are many errors, e.g.:

-------------------------------------------

Platform Firmware Inventory

-------------------------------------------

BIOS Version....... SE5C600.86B.02.06.0006

BMC Firmware Version:

Op Code....... 1.28.10603

Boot Code.............. 01.17

ME Firmware Version:

Boot Code: 02.01.07.328

SDR Version:

SDR version: SDR Package 1.08[Error] Failed to enumerate the Microsoft_IPMI instances available (0x80041003)

It is related to the issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rex

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, I will double check in regards to the Driver support Assistant. In order to better understand your problem it would be useful to have the full log file that can be generated with the System Information Retrieval Utility, it doesn't seem that the error you mentioned above is related to the issue. Do you have another set of working RAM cards that you could use to see if the problem changes? Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Franklin,

In fact, I don't have replace RAM cards now. Full logs updated.

I found another issue in W10. Sometimes the OS hang up, and then no other choice but power off. I will find another harddisk and then make a clean W10 from very begining.

Thanks,

Rex

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, After reviewing the system logs you sent it seems that it would be a good idea to upgrade your boards firmware with this package https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27786/Firmware-Update-Package-Update-for-EFI-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Intel-Server-Systems-Based-on-Intel-60X-Chipset and then with this one https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28312/Firmware-Update-Package-Update-for-EFI-Intel-Server-Boards-and-Intel-Server-Systems-Based-on-Intel-60X-Chipset Use the Standard Update Procedure from the embedded EFI Shell section in the Update_Instructions file and run Startup.nsh to update all components. Read the whole mentioned file for safety. If you do not have additional RAM cards that you could use it would be a good idea to at least run a test with memtest86+. For doing this, you could for example download Ubuntu Linux iso and boot the computer from it, either from CD or USB and then select memtest86+ on the boot options. Reinstalling the OS on another drive sounds like a good idea but we highly recommend the software upgrade explained at the beginning of this post. . Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, Where you able to update your BIOS and check your RAM cards for errors? Please let us know that the status of your system is when you get a chance. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RexCheng
Beginner

​Hi Franklin,

Sorry for late reply.

I tried several things last week. Clean CMOS, re-plug RAM, tried another hdisk, and reinstall W10 image with another source. After then, the Windows 10 can reboot as expected. But I still can't find a way to install/update all the Intel drivers in one time, so I have to use Windows device manager to update one by one. Anyway, I can run the W10 now.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Best regards,

Rex

0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, Glad to hear you resolved the main problem you were facing. I will do some research internally about an easier method to install drivers in your system and get back in contact with you. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, It is great that your Windows 10 install is currently working as you expect with your S2600CP board however, please take into account the following official OS supported list for that board: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007032/server-products.html Also, we regret to inform you that there is no way to automate the installation of drivers for enterprise products. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Franklin_S_Intel
Employee
Hello Rex, I am checking back with you to see if you need anything else. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Regards, Franklin S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos