Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors

X520

NIKK859
Beginner

Dear Community,

i recently bought a Intel X520-DA2 and tried to get it running on my Win10 64Bit PC. I did install the latest driver (V. 25.6) with the PROset Utility Tool and everything looked fine. Nonetheless i cannot see the Network card in my Adapter list, if i go into the device Manager it tells me "the device is not active". Same story in the PROset Utility Tool. 

The Driver Version is 4.1.197.0

The Modules i use are 10GTek AXS85 10GBit SFP+ Modules which, according to 10GTek and Intel, should be fine to use. Even if they were not fine, i should be able to see the Adapter in my Adapter list.

Has anybody else encountered a Problem like this before or am i missing something?

Kind Regards

Nik

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Nik,

You're welcome, appreciate your swift response.

After checking the PBA of the adapter, it looks like this is a Dell Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version. We'd like to set your expectations that for OEM adapters, it would be best if you can get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on the card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet Adapter. 

You also mentioned that once the modules are removed and rebooted, the status changes from "deactivated" to "active" and can see the Network adapter. We are currently looking that this is most likely to be an issue with the module.

For retail Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520 Series, we do have a specific list of Compatible SFP+ Modules, SFP Modules, and Cables link below. Mentioned on the site, Other brands of SFP+ optical modules will not work with the Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520 Series.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

That being said, we highly suggest contacting Dell support and check with them if they have a list of compatible modules for X520-DA2 and test it to see if the issue still occurs. 

Feel free to let us know once you heard from them or if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello NIKK859,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your query.

1.) PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. This would also help us identify if you are using an OEM or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2.) Do you see any error code on device manager aside from 'the device is not active'?

3.) Have you tried installing the adapter on a different system to further isolate the issue?

4.) Kindly provide the part number of the modules used.

5.) Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

We hope to hear form you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
NIKK859
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

thanks for your reply.

The PBA of the adapter is G73129-007 and i do not see any error Codes aside the one told below.
I cannot install it on another system, this one is supposed to be the testsystem.

The Modules used are 10GTek AXS85-192-M3 which should be equivalent to Intel E10GSFPSR. I noticed as soon as i remove the Modules and reboot, the status changes from "deactivated" to "active" and i can see the Network adapter. It seems to be the cheap Modules i have in use.

Kind Regards

Nik

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Nik,

You're welcome, appreciate your swift response.

After checking the PBA of the adapter, it looks like this is a Dell Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) version. We'd like to set your expectations that for OEM adapters, it would be best if you can get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on the card. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet Adapter. 

You also mentioned that once the modules are removed and rebooted, the status changes from "deactivated" to "active" and can see the Network adapter. We are currently looking that this is most likely to be an issue with the module.

For retail Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X520 Series, we do have a specific list of Compatible SFP+ Modules, SFP Modules, and Cables link below. Mentioned on the site, Other brands of SFP+ optical modules will not work with the Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X520 Series.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005528/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

That being said, we highly suggest contacting Dell support and check with them if they have a list of compatible modules for X520-DA2 and test it to see if the issue still occurs. 

Feel free to let us know once you heard from them or if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
NIKK859
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

thanks a lot for the information this is a Dell manufactured product. Considering the driver, Dell had an older version than the one Intel supplied. I guess i found the right module, will see if it works. 

Kind regards

Nik

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Nik,

You're welcome, it has been my pleasure helping you out!

Since you already marked the thread as closed, we will now proceed closing this request on our end.  Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, feel free to submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have a great rest of your day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos