Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

X527-DA2, no connection

Dino-1
Novice

I am having some problems with the network connection on the new server (INTEL System). 

Everything is installed and updated but I still cannot get a connection to the X527 network card.  W2019 reports: "Please connect", it thinks that there is no cable connected.  I am connecting to a Netgear switch. 

I tried both ports, 3 different cables, no luck.  Windows shows drivers for X722 installed (?)

Server system Intel R2208WF0ZSR, M/B S2600WF

Net card X527DA2OCPG1P5, OCP X527-DA2

Initially I assumed the network card is an X722-DA2 but I am not sure anymore?  When I search at INTEL website, The part number from the invoice (OCP X527-DA2) only gives me FreeBSB drivers!? 

Maybe the network card installed is not compatible with WS2019 and I need to install another net card? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dino-1
Novice

Thank you for asking and sorry for the delay, I was on a trip and I had no time to test.  

I did three tests:

1) I installed the new Netgear switch, model XS708T, it has 8x10G ports and 2x10G SPF+ ports. 

Both NICs, the X527-DA2 and X710-DA4 worked right away, with no hiccups. 

2) Then I tested the Netgear switch model GS750 and connected it's SPF port (1G) with a fiber and 1.25G SFP Transceivers (1000Base-LX, 1310nm SMF, up to 10 km), Compatible with Netgear AGM732F (Amazon $15 for a pair): The NIC X710-DA4 worked right away but the X527-DA2 did not.  The X527-DA2 was going in and out - I set the link speed to 1G but still had the same problem.

3) Then I tested the Netgear switch model GS750 and connected it's SPF port (1G) with a Netgear AGM734-10000S Compatible, 1000Base-T SFP, Gigabit SFP RJ45 Copper Transceiver (CAT5e Cable, 100-Meter), ipolex (Amazon $14 a pair).  Nothing worked!  I also tried to set the speed to 1G to avoid speed negotiation, no luck.

It may be helpful for someone to mention that I also tried the following fiber cable assemblies while trying to connect to the Netgear switch model GS750 (at it's SPF port (1G)), none of the NICs linked, although when I used all of these cables between two Netgear SPF ports, I had no problem.

a)   Beyondtech: 10G SFP+ Direct Attach Cable - 30 AWG Twinax LSZH / 2 Meters (2m / 6.5ft) - Beyondtech 10Gb Gigabit Ethernet Switch Network SFP DAC Cable Series

b) Macroreer for Ubiquiti 10G SFP+ DAC 2m Direct Attach Copper Cable Passive (Blue)

c) HiFIBER:  SFP Cable, 10G SFP+ DAC, 3M(9.8-ft), 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable for Intel XDACBL3M, Ubiquiti, Netgear, D-Link, QNAP, Mikrotik, Supermicro,Open Switch Devices

d) 10GTec: SFP+ DAC Twinax Cable, Passive, Compatible with Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2M, Ubiquiti and More, 2 Meter(6.5ft)

e) Cable Matters 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax SFP Cable (SFP+ Cable) Compatible with Cisco, Ubiquiti, Huawei, Mikrotik, Netgear, & Supermicro Devices 2m

Again, when I used all of these cables between two Netgear SPF ports, I had no problem.  There was no connection/link Only when I tried to connect the 10G INTEL SPF+ to the Netgear 1G SPF!.  Only one solution worked, using the Netgear recommended Transceivers (kind off - I found less expensive compatible in Amazon)

I hope this helps someone, as I struggled with this for almost two months!

Thank you!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the System Support Utility (SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Awaiting to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dino-1
Novice

please see attached.  

I am currently connected to the network via a USB to Ethernet adapter (not the optimum for a server...)

The computer reports X722 network but I know the BOM lists X527DA2OCPG1P5, OCP X527-DA2.

I cannot find any Win Server 2019 drivers are available for X527DA2OCPG1P5, OCP X527-DA2???

Please advise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Thank you for providing the requested information. 

Before we further check on this with our engineers, please provide the following details that would help with the investigation.

1.) Can you share if the X527DA2OCPG1P5 is purchased together with the server or is it purchased separately?

2.) What is the cable and module used with the adapter?

Awaiting to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dino-1
Novice

Yes, purchased in an INTEL server system, it came assembled.  I got this through AVNET, and at the same order we had the W2019 server orders. (quote# 0020040846-000010)

I have tested three different cables already.  One of them was a BEYTONTECH, BTDASPSPTA30DPYB-2M1P

I am (trying) to connect to a Netgear ProSAFE GS750E

Below is the BOM of the server:

Thank you

IntegrationFee WFP_INTEGRATION WFP Integration Fee 1
Processor CD8069504213901 Xeon® Silver 4216 2
FrontBay1Drive01 SSDSC2KB019T801 S4510 (1.92TB 2.5 inch) 8
FrontDriveBay1Kit A2U8X25S3DPDK2 8 x 2.5" Dual Port Drive Bay 1
Memory 64GB_RDIMM_2_RANK_2933 64GB RDIMM 2 Rank 2933 8
M.2Drive SSDSCKKB240G801 S4510 (240GB M.2 SATA) 1
NetworkingIOModules X527DA2OCPG1P5 Network OCP X527-DA2 1
PowerSupply AXX1300TCRPS 1300W AC pwr sup AXX1300TCRPS 1
RaidSmartBatteryI/O AXXRMFBU6 BBU AXXRMFBU6 1
RaidI/OModule RMS3AC160 RAID Module RMS3AC160 1
RemoteManagementModule AXXRMM4LITE2 Remote Management Module 1
ServerSystem R2208WF0ZSR R2208WF0ZSR 1
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Thank you for the reply.

Please give us time to check on this request. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dino-1
Novice

I just ordered four more cables, from different manufacturers.  I should receive them by Thursday, and I will report.

I ordered, received and installed an X710-DA4 NIC, and I still could not connect to the Netgear switch.  I guess it could be the cables?  I will update when I test the new ones.  BTW I could not find any "INTEL" cables anywhere, I ordered from four different brands, hoping one of them would work.  

I bought an INTEL system because I did not want to deal with all these problems!  I wish INTEL would sell the cables along with the system; it would have been so much easier?

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Appreciate your effort in troubleshooting while we are checking on this matter. 

Feel free to post on this thread once you have an update or if you have additional questions.

I can also confirm that X710-DA4 NIC is on the list of compatible NIC for your server board. You may consider visiting link below for the list of Compatible SFP+ Modules, SFP Modules, and Cables for Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter X710 Series

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Can you also confirm or double check if the NIC the controller on BIOS is enabled from the NIC configuration?

We will also further check the issue with X527-DA2 as for compatibility with the server board and Operating System. We will send an update as soon as possible.

We also look forward hearing from you for the additional information requested.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Good day!

Before we further check the issue with our engineers, can you confirm that X527-DA2 or X710-DA4 are detected on the BIOS and within the OS when installed on the server?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Additionally, can you provide the product code of your Intel server that can be seen on the white sticker of the server itself? You may refer to the link below on Where to Find the Product Code and Serial Number for Intel® Data Center Blocks (Intel® DCB) Server Systems. Please be reminded to provide only the PROD CODE as the Serial number is considered confidential information. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008556/server-products/intel-data-center-blocks-intel-dcb.html

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Dino-1
Novice

Crisselle,

the  product code is LWF2208IR816508

I confirm that BIOS detects all 2+4 ports (+2 embedded on the M/B), but I see for the X527 it shows X722 (?).  I also tried to enable DHCP, but I am not sure if that setting is set because every time I enter that menu, the checkbox is empty.  I am not sure how to check if that setting is retained.

0 Kudos
Dino-1
Novice

I received four different cables today.

None of them gave me a "Link LED"

I connected between the ports and I see a Link LED

Maybe it is a problem with the switch?  I am connecting to a Netgear GS750E, it has two SFP ports (NOT SFP+)?

I am at loss...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Thank you for the reply.

Please give us additional time to check on this query. We might need to move this thread to Server Products team for further assistance

We will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Dino-1,

Please be informed that your query will be best answered by our Server products Support team, we will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. 

Feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Intel Ethernet support team.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello Dino-1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

The Intel® Ethernet Network Connection X527 has the same driver as X722 with 10GbE SFP+.

You can try the following driver:

It's important to mention that 10GBe is the supported speed. Connectivity to any devices (switches, routers, other NICs) that are 10/100Mbps will not give a link.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Dino-1
Novice

Thank you for the reply and guidance. 

The driver mentioned is the one which I already installed.  

I am trying to connect to a Netgear switch, GS750E, it has two SFP ports (NOT SFP+) and the SFP port speed is 1 Gb (not 10).

I ordered a NETGEAR Switch (XS708T) - with 2 x 10Gigabit SFP+, and I will receive (and test) on Monday.  

In the meantime, I will try to set the speed to 1Gb and report if any luck.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello Dino-1,

Thank you for your response.

I will be waiting for your feedback after the tests.

If the issue persists after that, please provide us the System Information Retrieval Utility (SysInfo) to further investigate.

Download link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29677/System-Information-Retrieval-Utility-SysInfo-?v=t

Video guide to run the report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032842/server-products.html

Regards,

Adrian M.

Dino-1
Novice

I talked with a tech at Netgear.  The Netgear SPF port can ONLY work with the following three Netgear Modules:

AGM731F = Transceiver 1000 base-SX (Short RANGE MULTIMODE)

AGM732F = Transceiver 1000 base-lX (LONG RANGE MULTIMODE)

AGM734-10000S = Transceiver 1000 base-T Copper RJ45 GBIC 

I looked at the prices and the cost for two of these is almost as much as the cost of the switch! (Crazy!)

I will test the new switch with the SFP+ ports next week and report.

Have a great weekend!

Thank you

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello Dino-1,

Were you able to test the other switch?

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello Dino-1,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Dino-1
Novice

Thank you for asking and sorry for the delay, I was on a trip and I had no time to test.  

I did three tests:

1) I installed the new Netgear switch, model XS708T, it has 8x10G ports and 2x10G SPF+ ports. 

Both NICs, the X527-DA2 and X710-DA4 worked right away, with no hiccups. 

2) Then I tested the Netgear switch model GS750 and connected it's SPF port (1G) with a fiber and 1.25G SFP Transceivers (1000Base-LX, 1310nm SMF, up to 10 km), Compatible with Netgear AGM732F (Amazon $15 for a pair): The NIC X710-DA4 worked right away but the X527-DA2 did not.  The X527-DA2 was going in and out - I set the link speed to 1G but still had the same problem.

3) Then I tested the Netgear switch model GS750 and connected it's SPF port (1G) with a Netgear AGM734-10000S Compatible, 1000Base-T SFP, Gigabit SFP RJ45 Copper Transceiver (CAT5e Cable, 100-Meter), ipolex (Amazon $14 a pair).  Nothing worked!  I also tried to set the speed to 1G to avoid speed negotiation, no luck.

It may be helpful for someone to mention that I also tried the following fiber cable assemblies while trying to connect to the Netgear switch model GS750 (at it's SPF port (1G)), none of the NICs linked, although when I used all of these cables between two Netgear SPF ports, I had no problem.

a)   Beyondtech: 10G SFP+ Direct Attach Cable - 30 AWG Twinax LSZH / 2 Meters (2m / 6.5ft) - Beyondtech 10Gb Gigabit Ethernet Switch Network SFP DAC Cable Series

b) Macroreer for Ubiquiti 10G SFP+ DAC 2m Direct Attach Copper Cable Passive (Blue)

c) HiFIBER:  SFP Cable, 10G SFP+ DAC, 3M(9.8-ft), 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable for Intel XDACBL3M, Ubiquiti, Netgear, D-Link, QNAP, Mikrotik, Supermicro,Open Switch Devices

d) 10GTec: SFP+ DAC Twinax Cable, Passive, Compatible with Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2M, Ubiquiti and More, 2 Meter(6.5ft)

e) Cable Matters 10GBASE-CU Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax SFP Cable (SFP+ Cable) Compatible with Cisco, Ubiquiti, Huawei, Mikrotik, Netgear, & Supermicro Devices 2m

Again, when I used all of these cables between two Netgear SPF ports, I had no problem.  There was no connection/link Only when I tried to connect the 10G INTEL SPF+ to the Netgear 1G SPF!.  Only one solution worked, using the Netgear recommended Transceivers (kind off - I found less expensive compatible in Amazon)

I hope this helps someone, as I struggled with this for almost two months!

Thank you!

0 Kudos