Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4776 Discussions

Xeon D-2123IT support SR-IOV?

dw5
Beginner

Hi:

anyone know that if xeon D-2123it support SR-IOV nic,such as x710,or not?

in intel site and google,I not find anything that could help me.

thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello dw5,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

SR-IOV requires support from the operating system and hardware platform (motherboard). Some systems support SR-IOV through some PCI Express* slots, but not on some other slots.

To give you an example, the following Intel® Ethernet Adapters and Intel® Ethernet Controllers support SR-IOV:

• Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710 Series
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA2
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-DA4
  • Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X710-T4
  • Intel® Ethernet Controller X710/X557-AT 10GBASE-T

In this scenario, our recommendation is that you check the compatibility between the processor and the motherboard/system, or between the Intel® Ethernet adapter and the motherboard/system.

We suggest that you contact the system manufacturer to obtain more information about this compatibility between the components.

In case you have further questions about this information, we will be glad to help you.

• Please provide us with the motherboard/system model.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
dw5
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The server is SuperServer E300-9D-4CN8TP from supermicro, motherboard is Super X11SDV-4C-TP8F.

And I want to add a X520 Network Adapter that directly connects with D-2123IT by a PCIE 3.0 slot.

SR-IOV can be enabled in BIOS,so I think the motherboard supports SR-IOV,and I will install ubuntu 20.04.

Attachment is the manual of motherboard X11SDV-4C-TP8F,or download it from https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/d/MNL-2007.pdf

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello dw5,

Thank you for providing detailed information about your system environment. 

To better assist you, we will move this thread to the Ethernet subforum.

We will assist you soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dw5,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Regarding your inquiry, X520 supports SR-IOV and to know more about SR-IOV and its supported OS, kindly open the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005722/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Tp further check the compatibility, we recommend that you also check this with your system manufacturer and on how to configure SR-IOV in the system.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dw5,

I hope you are having a good day. I just want to check if you still have clarifications regarding this thread?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dw5
Beginner

Hello:

Thank you for your assist.

I will install ubuntu20.04 with qemu-kvm in SuperServer E300-9D-4CN8TP. Qemu-kvm supports SR-IOV.

Now I know that the PCH in D-2123IT is c620 series chipset,so the 2x 10GBase-T LAN ports in the server supports SR-IOV,and 2x 10G SFP+ ports not. All the 10G ports connect to PCH directly,not the CPU.

I want to add a X520 Network Adapter that directly connects with D-2123IT by a PCIE 3.0 slot, but I not sure whether the pci root port in D-2123IT support Access Control Services (ACS). Without ACS, CPU can't support SR-IOV.

I have met that CPU E3-1230 V6 not support ACS,so I want to make sure whether D-2123IT support ACS.

Thank you.

@IntelSupport @Mike_Intel 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dw5,

To avoid any issues, specially if regarding the PCH. I really suggest that you need to further check this with the manufacturer of the board. First is to check if the support that OS and second is if your intended set up will work.

I understand that the PCH is Intel, however since it is embedded on a 3rd party party which they have full control of the feature and compatibility, it is still best to check this with them.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
dw5
Beginner

Hello:

Please move this thread back to the CPU subforum, what I want to know is related to CPU,not Ethernet.

D-2123IT is a SOC CPU, the PCH is in D-2123IT,not motherboard.

I want to know whether pcie root port in D-2123IT,not pcie root port of PCH, support ACS, because I will install X520 ethernet adapter directly connect to PCIE of D-2123IT,not connect to PCIE of PCH.

Please Check if PCIE of D-2123IT support ACS.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello dw5,

Thank you for the update. I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello dw5,

To better assist you with your inquiry, we recommend that you post your question on the Embedded Server Community.

Embedded Server Community

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Server/bd-p/emb-server-hardware-software-firmware

If you have a Field Application Engineer (FAE), you can contact the FAE to obtain more information about this request.

Also, you can create a case in the Intel® Premier Support site.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/access-and-login.html

We will proceed to close this thread.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos