Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Xeon E3 CPU Compatibility with motherboard

nnike
Novice

Hi, 

I'm looking for a motherboard for my Xeon E3 1235Lv5. The board i'm interested in (MSI MS-98E2) is compatible with the Xeon E3 v6 family.

So, i would like to know weather it's gonna be 100% compatible with my CPU as well?

Does that mean that, as a rule of thumb, all v6 compatible boards are backward compatible to v5 ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nnike
Novice

A big thanks, Leonardo, your help is really appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IntelSupport

Hello nnike

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. 

We understand that that you are looking for confirmation if the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1235L v5 on the MSI* motherboard.

The best approach to make sure that the CPU is fully compatible with the motherboard is with the motherboard manufacturer because they should have the list of validated CPU and BIOS compatibility of the motherboard/ CPU.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
nnike
Novice

Thanks Leonardo.

The problem is that i'm having a hard time getting an answer from them. 

The other issue is that i noticed that this CPU (E3 1235L) got hardly tested by the manufacturers of the boards i'm interested in. Probably because it was not ment to be used with the kind of boards i'm looking after (embedded object oriented).

Their webpage mentions:

7th/6th Gen Intel® Desktop Kaby Lake/ Skylake Xeon/i7/i5/ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Series Processor, Max 95W

and then

Intel® 7th/6th Gen Skylake-S/Kaby Lake-S Series with C236/H110.

Should i be fine ?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport

Hello nnike

Based on the OEM website (https://ipc.msi.com/product_detail/MS-98E2) the motherboard has a general support of Intel® 7th/6th Gen Skylake-S/Kaby Lake-S Series with C236/H110.

The specification tab they refer to the SKU of the motherboard (MS-98E2-C236 SKU, and MS-98E2-H110 SKU). One of them (MS-98E2-C236 SKU) says that supports 7th/6th Gen Intel® Desktop Kaby Lake/ Skylake Xeon/i7/i5/ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Series Processor, Max 95W.

Based on the SKU (MS-98E2-C236 SKU) this motherboard supports the Intel® Xeon® Skylake, this includes the Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1235L v5 and it has the Socket LGA 1151 that matches with the Intel® Xeon®  Processor E3-1235L v5, never the less the final word in regards to the compatibility has to be confirmed by the motherboard manufacturer.

Reference links:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1235L v5 specifications.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/88170/intel-xeon-processor-e3-1235l-v5-8m-cache-2-00-ghz.html.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
nnike
Novice

A big thanks, Leonardo, your help is really appreciated.

0 Kudos