Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4775 Discussions

Xeon E5-2620v3 supported RAM

Jack1973
Beginner

Dear All,
I have a problem with Xeon E5-2620v3 prosessor and DDR4 RAM memory.
Is it true that Xeon doesn't support RAM memory with only 4 banks on one side of laminate (I think it's 1Rx8 type memory)?

I've bought 4 RAM modules DDR4 4GB 2400MHz each:

- 2pcs of Kingston KCP424NS6/4 - brand new,
- 2pcs of SK Hynix, 4GB, 1Rx16, PC4-2400T-UCO-11 HMA851U6AFR6N - used memory

but neither of them work. Is it useless in this configuration?
It's brand new computer, first launch, black screen, fans work, doesn't enter to BIOS, HDD has no system yet.
I couldn't find anywhere, any special conditions concerning RAM like "it should have more than 4 banks on one side" or "it should be 2Rx8 type".
What RAM should I use with Xeon processors?

Do all Xeon processors family E5-26XX only support 2Rx8 memory?

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @Jack1973

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We will move your question to the correct subforum, the team in charge will get back to you soon.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Not sure where you read that, but x8 organization is what is more-typically supported and x16 organization is what is often NOT supported. Whether it is 1R or 2R shouldn't matter. Bottom line, I think that both of your purchases are not working because of their x16 organization.

All that said, you usually can't say what memory will be supported looking at the processor. You really need to be looking at the specifications for the motherboard and specifically what they are saying regarding what their BIOS will support.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Jack1973
Beginner

My motherboard is Huananzhi X99-ZD4 (LGA 2011-3) which I've bought together with processor Xeon E5-2620v3 from our local distributor. The set is new and still has warranty. I'm quite sure that motherboard and processor are compatible.

Computer doesn't start so I can't enter the BIOS yet.

Yes, your're right they are both 1Rx16.

Ok, I'll try to use another DDR4 1Rx8 and see if it starts or not.

I also thought about i7-5820k maybe it woulb be better solution? Is x16 organization supported by i7?

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Again, memory support is determined by motherboard implementation (including BIOS). You need to look at the specifications for this motherboard. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be an online manual, so I cannot look this up for you.

...S

0 Kudos
Jack1973
Beginner

In manual it's only:

"RAM supported: Support DDR4 1866/2133/2400MHz Memory"

They answered me that they usualy use Micoron 1RX4 PC4 with 2400MHz.

OK. I will buy other RAM and will see.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Jack1973
Beginner

In the end - all 4pcs of memory chips were DDR4 1Rx16, 2400MHz and only had 4 memory modules on one side of the laminate. After purchasing a 1Rx8 DDR4, 2133MHz memory chips with 8 memory modules on one side of the laminate, the computer works fine.
In the manual for Huananzhi X99-ZD4 board is only: "RAM supported: Support DDR4 1866/2133 / 2400MHz Memory" but there is no mention of the type neither 1Rx4, 1Rx8, 1Rx16 nor 2Rx ...... etc.

My motherboard works with XEON E5-2620v3.

So, finally I checked the 1Rx8 memory sticks and they work.

Greetings to everyone and I hope this topic will help someone who has a similar problem.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Reality makes me look like I know what I am talking about sometimes. Alas, only sometimes... sigh!

Sorry you had to go through this. I really think that Intel could do a better job on the MRC (Memory Reference Code) and avoid these kinds of problems. I know that some manufacturers enhance the MRC, rather than just blindly building it into their BIOS as-is, but these enhancements are considered advantageous IP and don't filter back to the source for inclusion by all. I suppose I cannot blame them - but I do draw the line at them treating fixes for BIOS core bugs the same way.

...S

0 Kudos