Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Xeon Phi 5110P configuring PCIe MEMBAR0

CatalinP
Beginner

Hello, I recently purchased an Intel Xeon Phi 5110P and reading through the Intel® Xeon Phi™ System Software Developer’s Guide (March, 2014).

In the section "2.1.12 Host and Intel® MIC Architecture Physical Memory Map" there is the following text:

MEMBAR0
 Relocatable in 64-bit System Physical Memory Address space
 Prefetchable
 32 GiB (max) down to 256 MiB (min)
Programmable in Flash
 Offset into Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessor Physical Memory Address space
 Programmable in APR_PHY_BASE register
 Default is 0

How can I program the MEMBAR0 in Flash? I have searched in tools like micctrl, micflash and cannot find the option to configure the aperture. I would like to set the aperture to minimum size, 256 MB, to improve compatibility with other devices on the system.

Here is some additional information on my specific device:

Flash Version : 2.1.02.0391
Coprocessor Stepping : B1
Board SKU : B1PRQ-5110P/5120D

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello CatalinP,,

Thank you for joining the Intel community.

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

The available software updates for this device are listed in the following URL: Intel® Manycore Platform Software Stack (Intel® MPSS)

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
CatalinP
Beginner

Thanks JoseH and phi__jack for the replies.

I understand this product is no longer supported.. but I am thinking the phrase in SDG was there with good reason. Are there any internal documents regarding configuration of the bootloader? I have also heard that some additional documentation on Xeon Phi is available under NDA?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
phi__jack
Novice

Hi,
You want to understand how to do: you can download the mpss-4.4.1-card-source and you can learn from source code and have an idea.

0 Kudos
CatalinP
Beginner

Thank you, so far I have been studying mostly mpss-3.8.6 sources. Specifically I found code related to uploading a new flash image in src/mpss-micmgmt-3.8.6/apps/mpssflash/mpssflash.c. I have even used 'mpssflash read' to get the flash image to a local file, but no clues on how to configure MEMBAR0 size.

There is also some clues about boot process in host driver (src/mpss-modules-3.8.6/host/uos_download.c) and flash operations (src/mpss-modules-3.8.6/host/tools_support.c) but again nothing specific to MEMBAR0.

I have searched all mpss-3.8.6 sources for "MEMBAR0", nothing.

I have a copy of mpss-4.4.1-card-source but have not looked at it in detail yet. Seems a lot of modified versions of open-source packages (mpss-4.4.1/sources/card/sources/glibc-2.24.tar.xz). Is there much MIC-specific code there? If you have any tips where to look, please let me know.

0 Kudos
phi__jack
Novice

Hi,

You need to enable the  "Above 4G decoding" in bios.

xeonphibios4g.JPG

Without it you can't use it.

0 Kudos