Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

did ms update and rebooted server now server won't come up

RImpe
Beginner

we have an intel modular server mfsys25v

this morning i did ms updates on two virtual servers, one rebooted and is fine the other virtual server will not come up.

i do not know where to look to see what is happening

i do not have a kvm on the intel unit.. could never get it working

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

if more information is needed please ask.

i can get into the intel modular server control but dont know where to look to see.

Thanks

Robin

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RImpe
Beginner

ok for some reason and i don't know why, but the server is up however I can not get remote desktop into it.

i can remote desktop into all the other server but this one.

i am getting

this computer can not access the remote computer

Try connecting again. if the problem, continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator

i have been connecting to this server all along. not sure why i can not connect to it now.

i can go to "my computer" and access the server drives

we can run our programs that are on that server (thank goodness)

please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robin

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

I would review the settings again for the Remote Desktop connection. I believe you mentioned that you are using Virtual Servers. Most hypervisors offer a KVM function to see what is going on with the Virtual Machine. This would be another alternative to gain access to your VMs.

0 Kudos
RImpe
Beginner

Thank you David for responding back.

1) the server is up and running however for some reason RDP is not working. it was working ever since the Intel unit was installed, before I started here. When I did the MS Updates Saturday and rebooted the server I received the message that "this computer can not access the remote computer....."

2) the server in question is a Virtual Server and a KVM was not set up on it so i can not work off of the Intel Modular unit except for using the web page access to the console. is there a way to check the RDP setting for that server from there?

3) i will not be in the office today (Monday) however I will be there tomorrow (tuesday) is there a way I can contact you via phone or you call me in the morning?

Thanks again.

Robin

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Which hypervisor are you using for your Virtual Machines (WMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Citrix Xen Server, etc?

The Intel® Modular Server System offers http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/mfsys25v2/sb/CS-032891.htm KVM capabilities to directly connect to the physical server.

Feel free to reach our http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport Customer Support Group to further follow up of your case.

0 Kudos
RImpe
Beginner

we are using VMWare ESX1 4.1

I have beginner experience with Virtual Servers and Intel Modular Server System.

I don't have a KVM unit to hook up to the Modular Server. Will hooking up a regular monitor, Keyboard and mouse work?

I just don't understand how all of a sudden RDP would change, unless the MS Updates (which I doubt) changed it.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
RImpe
Beginner

I am able to rdp into the virtual server by going into the VMWare ESXi webpage and right click on the virtual server and open console. (Phew).

however I am miffed... Enable Remote Desktop on this computer is checked and when i go into Select Remote Users it tells me that I already have access.

I am getting the

"this computer can not access the remote computer

Try connecting again. if the problem, continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator"

before I put in my user and password. it comes up as soon as i click on Connect for the Server.

I have tried to RDP the virtual serve from 3 different computers and each time I get that error message.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Are you able to use other network services? At this point, you might want to have Microsoft* support to find out if any of the updates installed would have such impact on your RDP.

I was able to find list of common troubleshooting tips to resolve this issue on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2477176 Microsoft Knowledge Base.

0 Kudos
RImpe
Beginner

it looks like i am ok with using the VMWare ESXi console. however i do want to be able to RDP in the virtual server. I will contact Microsoft and see if they can help out since this happened right after I did the MS Updates. i did go to the link you provided and had already tried the steps and still having the problem...

thanks for your help.

once i get it working i will post back here with the solution so that if anyone else has this problem it would help them out.

0 Kudos
RImpe
Beginner

after being able to get into the server through VMWare ESi I checked the event logs and noticed that the server actually did not reboot after I the updates. I cannot reboot the server now however I will reboot in the AM. Hopefully I will be able to use RDP after the reboot. Will post back after I reboot.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel

Thank you Robin, any update about this matter will be most certainly welcome!

0 Kudos
RImpe
Beginner

Rebooting the virtual server from VMWare ESXi helped. I can not RDP. Thank you David for your help and suggestions.

0 Kudos