Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage; and Intel® Xeon® Processors
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4302 Discussions

dual socket server boards for xeon E3-1200 family processors

idata
Community Manager

hi, i want to build highend server with xeon E3-1200 family processor. please help me is there any chance to get dual socket mother board for this type of processors

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

None - the first number "1" in "1200" means the maximum number of CPUs in a node is one. So there will be no dual socket board for Xeon E3-1200 series.

idata
Community Manager

Hello,

Any dual socket version will be Intel Xeon Processor 5500 or 5600 capable. The Intel Xeon Processor 3400 E3-1200 series is a single socket solution only.

The new E3-1200 series pedestal only supports 4 drives, so we will be using it strictly in small deploys for SBS 2011 (up to 10 seats or so). In our experience to two limiting factors in any server configuration is I/O and RAM.

The new Intel Server System R1304BTL series 1U 1P will make a good foundation for a physical OS install as well.

For any virtualization tasks we are waiting for a higher end pedestal chassis that will support more than four drives and the same on the 1U platform. We are waiting for a replacement for the Intel Server System SR1695GPRX2AC which is an awesome virtualization platform.

Philip

Message was edited by: Philip Elder: Meant to say E3-1200 series not 3400 series.