Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

how to enable s2600wft network on ubuntu16.04?

Jizhao_Z_Intel
Employee

I'm installed ubuntu16.04 desktop on this server. But network doesn't work, a "cable unplugged" always show in network setting.

I'm wondering is it a driver issue so I downloaded a driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=88342 Download Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack .

And then I installed "PROXGB\LINUX\ixgbe-5.3.5.tar\ixgbe-5.3.5" from it since I thought s2600wft uses x557-at2 Ethernet module

from this guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/server-boards/S2600WF_TPS.pdf .

After that, the network status is shown as connected. But I still can't successfully ping addresses in the same subnet. And the very

strange thing is that I can see local ip in "ifconfig" when the cable is unplugged. Also, during every steps in my try, the rj45 light

doesn't blink. Had somebody encountered these problems for s2600wft?intel_adminCommunityAdminitpnadmin@

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

Regarding your question, how to get the NIC working on Ubuntu 16.04. I am afraid drivers for this board are not available for Ubuntu.

You can see which OS are support on the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/89015/Intel-Server-Board-S2600WFT Drivers Download page.

I hope this information helps to select the best OS for you.

You might want to check on the Ubuntu Forums for tested drivers for Intel PRO/100/gigabit adapters.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
Jizhao_Z_Intel
Employee

This time, I installed CentOS instead, which is a free version of Red hat(listed in the driver download page). And only

in this OS, I can find out the network is actually X722, but not X557-AT2 as I thought and mentioned in the document.

So I have tried to install the driver from the download page. But unfortunately, I found it extremely difficult to successfully

make it work. The "readme" told to run some scripts, but the dependencies are numerous and confused. I used another

PC to download them by yum dependency download plugin and copy them to the server. But when installing, there are

many conflicts and more other missing rpms needed. I had to try to install with some "nodeps" and "force" options.

But at last, I still can't pass any steps according to the "readme". So does it really difficult to connect to the internet?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

I am sorry for the problem you are encountering on find the correct drivers.

Could be so kind and provide me with the CentOS Version and kernel installed.

You can also use SUSE Linux Enterprise.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
Jizhao_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It's latest centos7(https://www.centos.org/download/ Download CentOS), version is 1708. And the kernel number is 3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64.

Besides, how about try windows10-64bit? I saw there is a driver for it. Will it be much easier and no need

to install other 3rd party dependencies?

Thank.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

Thank you for the update information. For CentOS I will recommend to install all the missing rpms and try to install the drivers.

Yes there is a Windows 10 driver and you could try or the main OS that we recommend Windows Server 2012.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
LSeam
Beginner

Hi Zhao,

I had a similar issue with no network activity on S2600WFT's onboard Ethernet connectors. In my case it was due to trying to use a 100Mbps connection which is not supported. Only 1Gbps and 10Gbps are supported.

More info here:

Hope this helps.

idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

Thank you Zhao, this could also be correct. But at this moment is more trying to install drivers. Will like to follow up if you were able to install the necessary drivers and what OS are you using?

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

I just wanted to follow up if you had the opportunity to install a validated OS with drivers to ensure if the NIC is working. This will help us for the next step.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
Jizhao_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It was Chinese New Year last week so I didn't check the email. I will have more try this week.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

No problem at all, just wanted to follow up and let you know that we are here to help as much as possible. Just reply back to me when you had the chance to test it.

Also, delayed but Happy Chinese New Year.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
Jizhao_Z_Intel
Employee

DId it finally all works well when you plug it to 1G/10G switch? If you can finally server internet, could you tell me

what's your environment(OS version, extra drivers)? Or we don't need to do anything else after you install OS

when you have 1G/10G switch?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

Thank you for the update, then the NIC works with the 1g/10g switch. You see this with just the system power-up or within the OS. Also, which OS are you using at this moment?

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
Jizhao_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I've got a 1G switch yesterday and had a try. Everything is OK now, my OS is ubuntu16.04 desktop version.

Jizhao.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Jizhao,

Thank you I will pass on the information, and I am glad is working now.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos