Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

how to "repair" a cmos clear that turned a S2600CP4 in a flashing "xmas wall" ?

jgeny1
Novice

i have the mainboard from few weeks ...after encountering that windows 7 or 10 are having HDMI TROUBLES with it :

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO4-bYHnus/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO5M84HXrL/

now after a cmos reset that occured because the tool : bracket clear cmos had broken one cable ...

here is a movie to show the mainboard with all leds blinking :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuWt5NCdhig&feature=youtu.be

i hope that i will get quickly some real good help...

1 Solution
jgeny1
Novice

by now the mainboard is re-packed to return to the dealer ...in the U.K. ..

so i ll give him your advice... i did what you advice or so , i even removed the battery during minutes..

in the doc , about clearing cmos :

8.1.1 Set BIOS to default (Clearing the CMOS)

To clear the CMOS, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the server. Do not unplug the power cord.

2. Open the server chassis. For instructions, see your server chassis documentation.

3. Move jumper from the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2) to the

reset/clear position (covering pins 2 and 3).

4. Wait five seconds.

5. Remove AC power.

6. Move the jumper back to the default position (covering pins 1 and 2).

7. Close the server chassis.

8. Power up the server.

The CMOS is now cleared and can be reset by going into the BIOS setup.

Note: Removing AC power before performing the CMOS clear operation causes the system to

automatically power up and immediately power down, after the procedure is followed and AC

power is re-applied. If this happens, remove the AC power cord again, wait 30 seconds, and reinstall

the AC power cord. Power up the system and proceed to the <F2> BIOS Setup utility to

reset the preferred settings.

and in the latest bios package : BIOS_R02.06.0007_package_Romley_Platforms

there is a : Update_Instructions.txt

that has :

BIOS Recovery Process

In the unlikely event the BIOS is corrupted, leaving the system in an 

unbootable state, it may be necessary to perform the following BIOS Recovery 

procedure.  

1. Copy the following BIOS update files to the root directory of a USB media 

device (Recovery Media):

Note: These specific files will be located in the "BIOS Recovery Files" folder 

included in the System Update Package.

- IPMI.EFI 

- IFlash32.EFI 

- RML.ROM 

- R##.##.####REC.CAP (where ##.##.#### = BIOS revision number) 

- STARTUP.NSH (modified to support BIOS recovery)

2. Power OFF the system

3. Locate the BIOS Recovery Jumper on the server board and move the jumper 

block from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3 (recovery setting)

4. Insert the recovery media into any available USB port on the back of 

the server

Note: The front panel USB ports may not work for this procedure on some server 

systems.

5. Power ON the system

6. The system will automatically boot into the embedded EFI Shell

7. The STARTUP.NSH file automatically executes and initiates the flash update.

When complete, the IFlash utility will display a message

8. Power OFF the system and return the BIOS Recovery jumper to its default 

position

9. Remove recovery media from the USB port

10. Power ON the system 

11. Do *NOT* interrupt the BIOS POST during the first boot.

i think the blinking of the board comes from step 11 that is not in the doc..

with mainboards that always happens that it restarts after a power down , for apparently no reason... or for some reason in the note after point 8 above ...

may be when my cmos reset broke that caused a reboot that terminated "too early"..

a point 12 saying what to do in case of 11 would help ,,, may be ??

by the way , i already bought a new mainboard , and repairing this one should need some special hardware .

last november i registered to become a cal-firefighter.. i have no news so may be Intel HQ can offer me a job to check its mobos and update them so they ll be useable by customers ... of course i want a lot of $ for this job ... 8"] but that looks there is no choice for it..

here is a old usa cartoons with a chicken hunter... he loves to say : "Are you comin' quietly, or do I have to muss ya up!?" after capturing one ;']

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvnabx

have fun advising about intel's mainboards after this movie , sergio

edit : as i can not add post , i edit this last one : selected as best by intel [ so that close thread that gets dead.....]

for a long time ... i hope .. waterblocks are quite expensive , as well as ram ddr3 or cpu .... so reusability is a very important fact ..

i am very sad to not have the intel boards "running" .. i was wanting to create an os like dos/win9x based on this "uefi" ..

may be with next motherboard if ebay shows a super bargain ... and if intel is still a mainboard maker...

thank you sergio for closing this thread that was "too bad" for intel's reputation and wallet ... that is easier than searching learning the way to repair the board or do some good notices...

here is another cartoon with same heroes

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29npv2

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SergioS_Intel
Hello jgeny1, The interactive technical support for the Intel® Server Board S2600CP4 you have requested has been discontinued. We can provide you with resources and self-service support information through our website. https://ark.intel.com/products/56334/Intel-Server-Board-S2600CP4 We highly suggest that you get information from the technical product specification site and all available technical information is included on the support site. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/s2600cp/sb/g26942005_s2600cp_p4000cp_tps_rev19.pdf I am going to proceed and move your thread to the Discontinued Products Community, so you can get recommendations from fellow community members. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DavidA_Intel
Employee

Hello @jgeny1​ 

There was a confusion with the support status of your board. This product is currently under interactive support. I am moving your thread to our Server Support group.

Now based on the video you posted. I would like to clarify the following.

Are you able to get any video on your screen?

Do you get any beep code when this happens?

Could you please elaborate on "bracket clear cmos had broken one cable ..."?

How long does the system work for? Please include a short summary of components installed (RAM, CPU, Chassis, HDD/SSD, etc)?

I will be looking forward to hear from you soon.

0 Kudos
jgeny1
Novice

thank you David ... at least there is somebody who cares...but still have no solutions...

to reply :

the mainboard "blinks" when the mainboard is powered , that means not started at all

if i push the start button from the case nothing happens

the clearcmos backet is visible there :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SilverStone-SST-CLEARCMOS-Clear-connector-support/dp/B002BFUF5M

with a good review here :

http://www.notebookreview.com/desktopreview/silverstone-case-accessory-review-roundup/3/

i installed it after having to reset cmos after each launch of win7 or 10 or linux install usb drive...

the process is not easy to be done well ..

the bracket was well working but when i removed it from the case , after the discovery of the mainboard blinking , i saw a cable was broken...

at least i never saw a clear cmos ending by killing the board...

yesterday i tried to do the bios recovery , as my board is having the latest from 2018... but the jumper or the start button or the plug of the usb do nothing .. the psu stays off ... and i do not "feel" something like the " asus bios update usb flashback " was happening...

https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

https://youtu.be/XI-zGV8SLho

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel
Hello jean-christophe geny, Please try to boot your system with the minimal system configuration, just the processor, no video card, one memory module. Additionally, please provide us more information on your system configuration memory part number, video card model, processor model, PSU, etc Test your system without memory, you should get 3 long beeps, this means that the processor and serverboard are communicating. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
jgeny1
Novice

by now the mainboard is re-packed to return to the dealer ...in the U.K. ..

so i ll give him your advice... i did what you advice or so , i even removed the battery during minutes..

in the doc , about clearing cmos :

8.1.1 Set BIOS to default (Clearing the CMOS)

To clear the CMOS, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the server. Do not unplug the power cord.

2. Open the server chassis. For instructions, see your server chassis documentation.

3. Move jumper from the default operating position (covering pins 1 and 2) to the

reset/clear position (covering pins 2 and 3).

4. Wait five seconds.

5. Remove AC power.

6. Move the jumper back to the default position (covering pins 1 and 2).

7. Close the server chassis.

8. Power up the server.

The CMOS is now cleared and can be reset by going into the BIOS setup.

Note: Removing AC power before performing the CMOS clear operation causes the system to

automatically power up and immediately power down, after the procedure is followed and AC

power is re-applied. If this happens, remove the AC power cord again, wait 30 seconds, and reinstall

the AC power cord. Power up the system and proceed to the <F2> BIOS Setup utility to

reset the preferred settings.

and in the latest bios package : BIOS_R02.06.0007_package_Romley_Platforms

there is a : Update_Instructions.txt

that has :

BIOS Recovery Process

In the unlikely event the BIOS is corrupted, leaving the system in an 

unbootable state, it may be necessary to perform the following BIOS Recovery 

procedure.  

1. Copy the following BIOS update files to the root directory of a USB media 

device (Recovery Media):

Note: These specific files will be located in the "BIOS Recovery Files" folder 

included in the System Update Package.

- IPMI.EFI 

- IFlash32.EFI 

- RML.ROM 

- R##.##.####REC.CAP (where ##.##.#### = BIOS revision number) 

- STARTUP.NSH (modified to support BIOS recovery)

2. Power OFF the system

3. Locate the BIOS Recovery Jumper on the server board and move the jumper 

block from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3 (recovery setting)

4. Insert the recovery media into any available USB port on the back of 

the server

Note: The front panel USB ports may not work for this procedure on some server 

systems.

5. Power ON the system

6. The system will automatically boot into the embedded EFI Shell

7. The STARTUP.NSH file automatically executes and initiates the flash update.

When complete, the IFlash utility will display a message

8. Power OFF the system and return the BIOS Recovery jumper to its default 

position

9. Remove recovery media from the USB port

10. Power ON the system 

11. Do *NOT* interrupt the BIOS POST during the first boot.

i think the blinking of the board comes from step 11 that is not in the doc..

with mainboards that always happens that it restarts after a power down , for apparently no reason... or for some reason in the note after point 8 above ...

may be when my cmos reset broke that caused a reboot that terminated "too early"..

a point 12 saying what to do in case of 11 would help ,,, may be ??

by the way , i already bought a new mainboard , and repairing this one should need some special hardware .

last november i registered to become a cal-firefighter.. i have no news so may be Intel HQ can offer me a job to check its mobos and update them so they ll be useable by customers ... of course i want a lot of $ for this job ... 8"] but that looks there is no choice for it..

here is a old usa cartoons with a chicken hunter... he loves to say : "Are you comin' quietly, or do I have to muss ya up!?" after capturing one ;']

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvnabx

have fun advising about intel's mainboards after this movie , sergio

edit : as i can not add post , i edit this last one : selected as best by intel [ so that close thread that gets dead.....]

for a long time ... i hope .. waterblocks are quite expensive , as well as ram ddr3 or cpu .... so reusability is a very important fact ..

i am very sad to not have the intel boards "running" .. i was wanting to create an os like dos/win9x based on this "uefi" ..

may be with next motherboard if ebay shows a super bargain ... and if intel is still a mainboard maker...

thank you sergio for closing this thread that was "too bad" for intel's reputation and wallet ... that is easier than searching learning the way to repair the board or do some good notices...

here is another cartoon with same heroes

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29npv2

SergioS_Intel
Hello jean-christophe geny, We hope that the new replacement solve your problem. Best regards, Sergio S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos