Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

iSCSI remote boot via Intel Gigabit ET dual port server adapter

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am trying to test iscsi remote boot feature of Intel gigabit ET dual port server adapter. I have flashed the firmware (related to iscsi remote boot) on to the card and configured the parameters (target ip,port etc). When i try to remote boot, the host displays an error "Not enough space to copy PCI Option ROM". Can anybody tell me what could be the issue here.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramu

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

iSCSI uses a pretty big portion of the Option ROM. Do you have any storage or RAID cards installed, that might also be taking up some of that room? If so, try removing them temporarily for this test, or disable their Option ROMs in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Dan_o,

iSCSI remote boot of windows works fine after disabling unused device in the BIOS settings.

I have two queries related to remote booting of linux.

i) I am trying to remote boot linux (tried with both FC10 and SUSE 10 server).

While booting FC10, diskless host throws an error "unable to mount /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3"

While booting SUSE 10 server (i386), diskless host throws an error something like "SATA disk not found"

What could be the wrong with my setup ?

ii) User guide of gigabit ET dual port server adapter recommends to use only RHEL and SUSE server for iscsi remote boot. What could be the reason behind this ?

Thanks & Regards,

Ramu

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

OS stuff, I'm not so good with. I'd recommend google searching on that error message, or seeing if there's a good linux community you could post the question to.

0 Kudos